South High School (Bakersfield, California)
|South High School|
|1101 Planz Road
Bakersfield, California 93304
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Kern High School District|
|Number of students||about 2,100|
|Color(s)||Columbia Blue, Gray|
|Rival||North, West, Golden Valley|
The school has approximately 2,150 students. The school mascot is known as the Rebel Man or Johnny Rebel and is patterned after a Confederate soldier. Sports teams are referred to as the Rebels.
The school offers a variety of sports that include: baseball, swimming, dance, flag, golf, wrestling, tennis, cross-country running, soccer, basketball, softball, volleyball, and football. In 2015-2016, the Varsity boys soccer team won the CIF Southern California Regional Championships for Division II.
South High celebrated its 50th anniversary and homecoming on September 29, 2007. The South High Rebels also hosted their 50th homecoming football game against the Shafter Generals, with South High winning 41-12.
Clubs on campus include forensics, JROTC, and ROC.
South High is also home to the prestigious MS3 program, the brand new South High Justice Academy the AVID program and an award-winning Rebel Regiment Band and Colorguard.
- Winston Crite, NBA player, played for TCU University
- Michael Dallas, Jr., a professional boxer in the Light Welterweight division.
- Natalie Dunn, first American woman to win the world championship in figure roller-skating in 1976.
- Brent McClanahan, former running back for the Minnesota Vikings, 1973-1979.
- Rick Mears, retired American race car driver and four-time Indy 500 winner.
- David Silveria, Former drummer of the band Korn.
- William Van Worth, Gold Medalist in Men's Greco in wrestling at the 1975 Pan American Games in the +100 kg division
- "2016 CIF Southern California Regional Boys Soccer Championships (Division II)". MaxPreps. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Mike Dallas JR.". Gossen Promotions. Archived from the original on 11 October 2011. Retrieved June 20, 2015.
- "South High Hall of Fame". South High School. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- Martin, Bryce (2013). Kern county sports chronicles : colorful athletes of the Central Valley. p. 86. ISBN 978-1626191440. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
|This California school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|