South Hill Mall
|Location||Puyallup, Washington, United States|
|Address||3500 S. Meridian|
|No. of stores and services||100+|
|No. of anchor tenants||8|
|Total retail floor area||1,074,230 square feet (99,799 m2) (GLA)|
|No. of floors||1 (2 inside of Macy's)|
South Hill Mall is an enclosed, super-regional shopping mall located in Puyallup, Washington, United States. Opened in 1988 and expanded in 1992, the mall comprises more than 100 stores, plus a food court and movie theater, in 1,074,230 square feet (99,799 m2) of gross leasable area. The mall also includes six anchor stores (two JCPenney stores, Macy's, Sears, Target, and Dick's Sporting Goods), as well as Old Navy. The mall is managed by Cafaro Company of Youngstown, Ohio.
South Hill Mall opened in 1988 in Puyallup, Washington, at the junction of Washington State Route 512 and 31st Avenue SW. At the time, the mall included only three anchors: Mervyns, Lamonts and Target. Six years later, work began on a westward expansion which added more than 400,000 square feet (37,000 m2) of new retail space, including three new anchors: JCPenney, Sears and The Bon Marché. Office Max and Old Navy were later added as well.
Lamonts was converted to Gottschalks in 2000 when the Lamonts chain was acquired. The Bon Marché was dual-branded as Bon-Macy's in 2003, and then was renamed as just Macy's in 2005, the same year that Gottschalks closed most of the former Lamonts stores. Within a year of its closing, the former Gottschalks anchor was split between Circuit City and Linens 'n Things. Mervyns closed in 2006 as the chain exited Washington. By May of the same year, it was announced that Kohl's, a chain based in Wisconsin, had acquired the former Mervyns store, although the mall's manager later said that Kohl's had no plans to open a store in the mall. A multimillion-dollar renovation of the mall also began in 2009, starting with a renovation of the food court. In addition, JCPenney moved its women's departments to the former Mervyns, while retaining all other departments in the existing store. Dick's Sporting Goods opened its first Washington state location in April 2010, replacing the spaces vacated by Circuit City and Linens 'n Things.
- "Directory of Major Malls". International Council of Shopping Centers. Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- Szymanski, Jim (1994-07-05). "J.C. Penney Store to Anchor $50 Million Addition to Puyallup, Wash., Mall." Tacoma News Tribune. Retrieved 2008-11-07.[dead link]
- Stevens, John H. (1992-10-21). "South Hill Mall To Add New Anchors". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- "Mall loses a key tenant, Gottschalks will shut down in Puyallup. The South Hill Gottschalks will close by the end of January". The News Tribune. 2005-12-16. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- Clements, Barbara (2006-05-06). "Kohl's buys Mervyn's site at South Hill". Tacoma News Tribune. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- Kearsley, Kelly (2008-04-08). "Kohl's in Puyallup just rumor for now". Tacoma News Tribune. Retrieved 2008-11-07.[permanent dead link]
- "South Hill Mall plans 'multimillion' dollar renovation". Puget Sound Business Journal. 2009-01-15. Archived from the original on 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- Gillie, John (28 April 2010). "Dick's Sporting Goods coming to South Hill". The Olympian. Retrieved 29 April 2010.