South Hill Park, London
Ruth Ellis and Styllou Christofi
The last woman to be hanged in Britain, Ruth Ellis, was sentenced to death for a murder committed on South Hill Park. She shot her boyfriend, David Blakely, outside a public house, The Magdala, on 10 April 1955. The pub is now closed and the building converted into apartments.
Coincidentally, the second-last woman to be hanged in Britain, Styllou Christofi, lived a few metres from the Magdala at 11 South Hill Park, with her son and daughter-in-law. She was executed in December 1954, four months before Ellis committed her crime.
- The Australian Prime Minister Andrew Fisher spent his retirement and last years in South Hill Park, 1922-28.
- The film director Anthony Minghella lived in South Hill Park until his death in 2008. His son, Max Minghella, had a role in the film Hippie Hippie Shake, parts of which were shot in the street and its surrounding area.
- Jonathan Ross and his family lived on South Hill Park in the 1990s.
- The poet Adrian Mitchell lived in South Hill Park until his death in 2008.
- According to the 1954 Electoral Register for England
- Camden New Journal - News: A Cut above: warm tributes for film director Minghella
- Sienna Miller Online | Welcome Archived 7 February 2009 at the Wayback Machine.