South Holland and The Deepings (UK Parliament constituency)
|South Holland and The Deepings|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of South Holland and The Deepings in Lincolnshire.
Location of Lincolnshire within England.
|Electorate||76,939 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Spalding and Holbeach|
|Member of parliament||John Hayes (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Holland with Boston|
|European Parliament constituency||East Midlands|
2010-present: The District of South Holland, and the District of South Kesteven wards of Deeping St James, and Market and West Deeping.
The constituency was created in 1997 from parts of the former seats of Holland with Boston and Stamford and Spalding. It covers the area around Spalding. It roughly corresponds to the South Holland local government district, with Market, and West Deeping added to it.
In minor boundary changes in place for the 2010 general election, parts of the two civil parishes, Baston, and Langtoft forming much of the Truesdale ward, moved to neighbouring Grantham and Stamford. This made Market Deeping and Deeping St James the only South Kesteven parishes to stay in the constituency, the remainder being in South Holland District.
The last non-Conservative member for the predecessor main seat was Sir Herbert Butcher (served 1937-1966) who for much of that time was in the National Liberal Party set up in 1931.
The member from 1966 until 1997 was Richard Body for the main contributor seat (in later years as MP, knighted), who had previously been an MP during the Eden government and the start of the Macmillan government for Billericay, and later wrote assertive books on agriculture and on the Common Agricultural Policy.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||George Smid||1,466||3.0||-12.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Jennifer Conroy||7,759||15.5||+2.6|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Steve Jarvis||6,244||12.9||+2.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Grace Hill||4,761||10.3||-5.3|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Peter Millen||7,836||15.6||N/A|
|Non-party Conservative||Guy Erwood||902||1.8||N/A|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 4)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "South Holland & The Deepings". Election 2015. BBC. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- http://www.libdems.org.uk/general_election_candidates#East Midlands
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- BBC - Election 2010 - South Holland & The Deepings
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.