South Indian Bank
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||29 January 1929|
|Headquarters||Thrissur, Kerala, India|
|Products||Credit cards, Mutual Fund Trading, Demat account, Consumer banking, Corporate banking, Finance and Insurance, Mortgage loans, Private banking, Wealth management, Investment banking|
|Revenue||₹6,562.64 crore (US$920 million) (2017)|
|₹1,214.59 crore (US$170 million) (2017)|
|₹392.50 crore (US$55 million) (2017)|
|Total assets||₹74,312.15 crore (US$10 billion) (2017)|
Number of employees
|7,677 (2017) |
|Capital ratio||12.37% |
South Indian Bank Limited (SIB) is a major private sector bank headquartered at Thrissur in Kerala, India. South Indian Bank has 871 branches, 4 service branches, 53 extension counters and 20 Regional Offices spread across India. The bank has also set up more than 1,500 ATMs and 91 Cash Deposit Machines.
- First among the private sector banks in Kerala to become a scheduled bank in 1946.
- First bank in the private sector in India to open a Currency Chest in April 1992.
- First private sector bank to open a NRI branch in Jhumritalaiya November 1992.
- First bank in the private sector to start an Industrial Finance Branch in March 1993.
- First among the private sector banks in Kerala to open an overseas branch in June 1993.
- Bank in Kerala to develop an in-house, fully integrated branch automation software.
- First Kerala based bank to implement Core Banking System.
- 8th largest branch network among private sector banks in India.
History of SIB
The South Indian Bank Ltd. was formed by a group of 44 enterprising men of Thrissur who contributed ₹500/- each to the initial paid-up capital of ₹22,000/-. Their main objective was to serve the merchant community of Thrissur by freeing them from the clutches of the money lenders who charged exorbitant rates of interest. The bank received very good support from the public at large. Initially, the growth was slow but steady. The number of branches opened each year testified its stability and popularity.
It was included in the second schedule of the Reserve Bank of India and became a scheduled Bank on 7 August 1946. SIB was the first scheduled Bank in the private sector in Kerala to get the license under Section 22 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 from the RBI on 17 June 1957.
South Indian Bank unveiled the new corporate logo.
Financial inclusion & Financial Literacy Centres
Till date, the bank has covered more than 100 villages and 15 urban centres under Financial Inclusion and opened more than 10 exclusive FLC Centres in the bank premises, which spreads across the states of Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh. South Indian Bank has appointed direct Business Correspondents in the allotted villages and is supervised by a team of officers in the FIP Cell - Head Office. Recently South Indian Bank has introduced "KIOSK Banking Model" as a Financial Inclusion Initiative in association with Akshaya e-centres in the state of Kerala through the software service provider - M/s Tata Consultancy services... The kiosk is a kind of banking model, where people living in unbanked or underbanked areas can avail basic banking facilities from a nearby common service centre/BC Office without visiting a regular bank branch. Basic banking needs of the public like opening of an account, deposit and withdrawal of cash etc. is possible from these common service centre/BC Office.
Board of directors
- Salim Gangadharan, Chairman
- Murali Ramakrishnan - Managing Director & CEO
- Pradeep M. Godbole - Director
- M. George Korah -Director
- Dr. John Joseph - Director
- Francis Alapatt - Director
- Achal Kumar Gupta - Director
- V. J. Kurian - Director
- Ranjana Salgaocar - Director 
- Banking in India
- List of banks in India
- Reserve Bank of India
- Indian Financial System Code
- List of largest banks
- List of companies of India
- Make in India
- "Board of Directors - South Indian Bank". www.southindianbank.com. Retrieved 8 October 2020.
- "Balance Sheet 31.03.2017" southindianbank.com (16 March 2018).
- "About us". South Indian Bank Ltd. Retrieved 23 February 2010.
- "Financial Inclusion Smart Card Account". South Indian Bank Ltd. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Indian Bank.|