South Kitsap High School
|South Kitsap High School|
A ROTC session at South Kitsap High School
|425 Mitchell Ave
Port Orchard, WA 98366 United States
|Motto||"The strength of the pack is the wolf and the strength of the wolf is the pack."|
Maroon, White, and accents of Gold
More than 2,800 students are enrolled across four grades (9th-12th) with 125 teachers.
History and facilities
It was originally built in 1921. An addition was made in 1962 followed by two addition and modernization projects in 1978 and 1980. The 337,392 square foot (31,300 m²) building is located on a 51.46 acre (20.8 hectares) site.
The school is known for its marching band, The Marching Machine, where they never cease to impress the school with their outstanding talent. In October 2008, the band was formally invited to march in the 2010 Tournament of Rose Parade in Pasadena, California. The band was one of 16 bands selected to perform in one of the most watched parades in the nation. Gov. Christine Gregoire has proclaimed Tuesday, January 26, 2010 South Kitsap High School Marching Band Day. Gregoire signed the proclamation Jan. 8 in honor of the band’s performance in the 2010 Rose Parade in Pasadena, Calif.
The band was also selected to perform in the Pearl Harbor Memorial Parade & Salute on December 7, 2011 in Honolulu, Hawaii. The event marked the 70th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor during World War II.
The band was a $10,000 grand-prize winner of the "Schools of the Rock Battle of the Bands," put on by Rock Wood Fired Pizza and Spirits, Seattle radio station KZOK and Xfinity in 2011. The SKHS band was selected over 27 other contestants, including Kingston High School, a school rival.
South Kitsap High School Marching Band has also won other numerous parades, contests, and competitions.
- Willie Bloomquist, Major league baseball player
- Aaron Cunningham, MLB Outfielder for the San Diego Padres
- Jason Ellison, MLB Outfielder
- Jamie Ford, New York Times bestselling author of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
- Jason Hammel, Pitcher for the Colorado Rockies
- Travis Hanson, former baseball player for the St. Louis Cardinals
- Jud Heathcote, basketball coach at Michigan State and Montana
- Zoe McLellan, actress, former Homecoming Queen
- Benji Olson, NFL Player
- Andrew Peterson, former NFL player for the Carolina Panthers
- Madelaine Petsch, actress
- Sean Spencer, former MLB pitcher
- Sharon Vaughn, Runnerup Miss America Pageant 1959
- SKHS Student Handbook
- "South Kitsap Marching Band Invited to March in 2010 Rose Bowl". Kitsap Sun. October 23, 2008. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "March to the Roses". Kitsap Sun. January 25, 2010. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "South Kitsap Marching Band Invited to Pearl Harbor". Kitsap Sun. 10 January 2011. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- Grimley, Brynn (16 December 2011). "South Kitsap High School band blows away the competition". Kitsap Sun. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Silent Monks Singing Halleluia". YouTube. Retrieved 1 September 2012.