South Park (season 17)
|South Park (season 17)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Original network||Comedy Central|
|Original release||September 25 –|
December 11, 2013
The seventeenth season of the animated television series South Park premiered on Comedy Central on September 25, 2013 and ended on December 11, 2013. The season satirized various topics and cultural institutions including Minecraft, the George Zimmerman murder trials, the 2013 mass surveillance disclosures, and the HBO television fantasy drama, Game of Thrones. The season received generally positive reviews, with criticism mainly aimed at the start of the season and much praise going to the Black Friday trilogy, which was hailed by many critics to be the shows best multi-arc series since the Imagionationland trilogy. The series continually maintained high ratings throughout the season.
The season consists of 10 episodes, as series creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone decided to scale back and have one uninterrupted season, as opposed to two 7-episode runs, as had been the format since Season 8. Bill Hader, a former Saturday Night Live cast member, began working full-time on the show as a staff writer.
Due to a power outage at the studio, episode 4 ("Goth Kids 3: Dawn of the Posers") missed the deadline and aired a week later than scheduled.
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.|
|238||1||"Let Go, Let Gov"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||September 25, 2013||1701||2.89|
|Cartman infiltrates the National Security Agency and does not like what he learns. Butters uses the local DMV office to confess his sins.|
|239||2||"Informative Murder Porn"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||October 2, 2013||1702||2.49|
|The boys become concerned over the growing rate of copycat incidents involving "murder porn" and use Minecraft to distract parents from hurting each other.|
|240||3||"World War Zimmerman"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||October 9, 2013||1703||2.06|
|Cartman fears for his and humanity's future after learning that George Zimmerman was found not guilty for killing Trayvon Martin.|
|241||4||"Goth Kids 3: Dawn of the Posers"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||October 23, 2013||1704||1.83|
|When Henrietta, one of the Goth kids, is sent out to a camp she returns deeply changed as an emo kid. The rest of the goth kids seek help from the Vampire kids.|
|242||5||"Taming Strange"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||October 30, 2013||1705||1.89|
|When Ike experiences early puberty, he develops an antisocial personality. The Canadian Minister of Health experiences marriage problems, while Mr. Mackey has a new computer interface in the school which is fraught with technical errors.|
|243||6||"Ginger Cow"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||November 6, 2013||1706||2.39|
|Cartman's latest prank brings about the necessary spiritual conditions for world peace. Cartman and Kyle are the only two at odds as the world embarks upon a thousand years of peace and harmony.|
|244||7||"Black Friday"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||November 13, 2013||1707||2.07|
|Part one of three. In anticipation of a Black Friday sale, Randy takes a temporary job as a mall security guard. The children split over which gaming system to buy, and Stan and Kyle find themselves on opposite sides.|
|245||8||"A Song of Ass and Fire"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||November 20, 2013||1708||2.39|
|Part two of three. Hordes of shoppers gather outside the mall in anticipation of the Black Friday sales. The kids prepare for an epic battle to assert the superiority of one faction's favorite video game platform over the other.|
|246||9||"Titties and Dragons"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||December 4, 2013||1709||2.48|
|Part three of three. Cartman and Kyle decide to give up and fight as one for their video game system.|
|247||10||"The Hobbit"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||December 11, 2013||1710||2.17|
|Wendy's criticism of Kim Kardashian as a "hobbit" leads her to speak out publicly. It also results in a crusade by Kanye West who tries to convince the world that Kardashian is not a hobbit.|
- Nicholson, Max (2013-12-18). "South Park: Season 17 Review". IGN. Retrieved 2018-10-16.
- Carr, David (January 27, 2013). "Fortifying the Empire 'South Park' Built". Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- Evans, Bradford. "Bill Hader Is Writing for 'South Park' Full-Time This Season". Splitsider. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- "Episode 1704 will not air tonight". South Park Studios. October 16, 2013. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 26, 2013). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'South Park' Wins Night + 'The Challenge: Rivals II', 'Key & Peele', 'The Daily Show', 'The Colbert Report' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (October 3, 2013). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'Duck Dynasty' Wins Night, 'Bad Ink',' South Park', 'Miley: The Movement', 'The Bridge' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 10, 2013). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'Duck Dynasty' Beats 'American Horror Story: Coven' + MLB Baseball, 'Bad Ink', 'South Park' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 24, 2013). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'Duck Dynasty' Leads Night + 'American Horror Story', 'South Park', 'Million Dollar Listing' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 24, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (October 31, 2013). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'American Horror Story' Wins Night, 'South Park', 'Key & Peele', 'Ghost Hunters', 'Preachers of LA' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 7, 2013). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'American Horror Story' Tops Night + 'South Park', 'Key & Peele', NBA Basketball & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 14, 2013). "Wednesday Cable Ratings:'American Horror Story' Wins Night, 'South Park', 'Key & Peele','Extreme Cheapskates' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 21, 2013). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'American Horror Story' Wins Night + 'South Park', NBA Basketball, 'American Pickers' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (December 5, 2013). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'American Horror Story' Leads Night + 'South Park', 'American Pickers', College Basketball & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (December 12, 2013). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'Duck Dynasty' Wins Night, 'American Horror Story', 'South Park', 'Rodeo Girls', 'Key & Peele' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 13, 2013.