South Park (season 23)
|South Park (season 23)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||7|
|Original network||Comedy Central|
|Original release||September 25, 2019 –|
The twenty-third season of the American animated sitcom series South Park premiered on Comedy Central on September 25, 2019. This season contains the 300th episode of the long-running TV show; the milestone was reached on October 9, 2019, when the third episode of the season premiered. Like previous seasons, this season also has dark weeks (weeks during which no new episode would air), after episodes four and seven. It was reported that creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone would continue to write, direct, and edit every episode the week prior to air, as the duo has done since the series debuted in 1997.
On July 8, 2015, two months prior to the season 19 premiere, Comedy Central announced they had renewed South Park for an additional 30 episodes over three seasons. This renewal was in addition to the two-year contract already in place with Parker and Stone, guaranteeing South Park would air until at least 2019. On September 12, 2019, the show was renewed for seasons 24 through 26 until 2022.
On October 7, 2019, South Park was reportedly banned from the Chinese Internet with videos, mentions, and discussion forums for the animated series being removed and shut down in response to episode 2 of the season, "Band in China". Later in the day South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone mockingly apologized.
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date ||Prod.|
|298||1||"Mexican Joker"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||September 25, 2019||2301||0.92|
|When Tegridy Farms experiences decreased sales, Randy is angered and decides to take action. Kyle is sent to a ICE detention center and warns the agents there that their poor treatment of children may have consequences.|
|299||2||"Band in China"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||October 2, 2019||2302||0.73|
|Randy wants to sell his marijuana in the Chinese market but is imprisoned after marijuana is found in his luggage. Stan, Kenny, Jimmy and Butters form a death metal band, which attracts a filmmaker that wants to tailor their biopic for Chinese audiences.|
|300||3||"Shots!!!"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||October 9, 2019||2303||0.95|
|In the series' 300th episode, Sharon is angered by the self-centered endeavors with which Randy chooses to celebrate a milestone achieved by their farm. Cartman's fear of needles prompts him to express fears that vaccines might make him "artistic".|
|301||4||"Let Them Eat Goo"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||October 16, 2019||2304||0.77|
|After a decrease in marijuana sales, Randy decides to take advantage of plant-based food to sell more of it. Cartman suffers from a heart attack after the cafeteria changes to a plant-based diet.|
|302||5||"Tegridy Farms Halloween Special"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||October 30, 2019||2305||0.84|
|Randy's daughter Shelly has issues with Randy and his marijuana farming. Butters has a problem with a mummy who is very manipulative in their relationship.|
|303||6||"Season Finale"||Trey Parker||Trey Parker||November 6, 2019||2306||0.84|
|Randy is accused of bombing private marijuana fields, and wants President Garrison to help him defend himself; the White family adopts two kids detained by ICE after the death of their son.|
|304||7||"Board Girls"||TBA||TBA||November 13, 2019||2307||TBD|
- Nissen, Dano (July 18, 2019). "TV News Roundup: Comedy Central Sets 'South Park' Season 23 Premiere Date". Variety. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Maglio, Tony (July 8, 2015). "'South Park' Renewed for 3 More Seasons". The Wrap. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Hipes, Patrick (July 8, 2015). "'South Park' Renewed For Three More Seasons". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Steinberg, Brian (July 8, 2015). "'South Park' Renewed by Comedy Central Through 2019". Variety. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- "'South Park' Renewed Through Historic 26th Season". The Futon Critic (Press release). September 12, 2019.
- Clark, Travis (October 7, 2019). "'South Park' creators issue a mocking 'apology' to China after the show was reportedly banned in the country". Business Insider.
- "Shows A–Z – south park on comedy central". The Futon Critic. Retrieved September 24, 2019.
- Rejent, Joseph (September 26, 2019). "Wednesday cable ratings: 'American Horror Story' continues in front, 'South Park' premieres down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 27, 2019.
- Rejent, Joseph (October 4, 2019). "Wednesday cable ratings: 'American Horror Story' ticks down, 'South Park' falls back". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 4, 2019.
- Rejent, Joseph (October 11, 2019). "Wednesday cable ratings: Nationals vs. Dodgers tops all, 'American Horror Story: 1984' holds". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 11, 2019.
- Rejent, Joseph (October 17, 2019). "Wednesday cable ratings: 'Basketball Wives' defeats 'American Horror Story'". TV By The Numbers. Retrieved October 18, 2019.
- Rejent, Joseph (October 31, 2019). "Wednesday cable ratings: 'American Horror Story: 1984' stumbles, 'South Park' recovers". TV By The Numbers. Retrieved November 1, 2019.
- Rejent, Joseph (November 7, 2019). "Wednesday cable ratings: NBA defeats 'American Horror Story' and 'South Park'". TV By The Numbers. Retrieved November 8, 2019.