South Plainfield High School
|South Plainfield High School|
|200 Lake Street
South Plainfield, NJ 07080
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Academics, Athletics, Arts|
|Vice principals||Kelly Richkus
|Enrollment||1,107 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.5:1|
South Plainfield High School (or SPHS) is a four-year, co-ed comprehensive community public high school located in South Plainfield in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States, serving students in ninth through twelfth grades and operating as the sole secondary school in the South Plainfield Public Schools. The school offers numerous clubs, activities, and athletics.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,107 students and 88.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.5:1. There were 222 students (20.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 104 (9.4% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
In 1996, the New Jersey Department of Education recognized the school with the "Best Practices Award" for its Respect All Races Everywhere (R.A.R.E.) Program in which administrators, staff, and students work together to make cultural and ethnic diversity an instructional theme.
The school was the 157th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 227th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 148th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 158th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 160th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 183rd out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 25 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the two components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA), mathematics (78.9%) and language arts literacy (93.5%).
Three music teachers are currently employed at South Plainfield High School: Ryan Dore (director of bands), Donna Kregler (director of choirs), and Bruce Mikolon (director of orchestras). As of 2015, Ryan Dore is the permanent band director, succeeding now Middle School principal Roger A. Vroom III.
- Marching Band
- Concert Band
- Wind Ensemble (starting 2017-18 school year)
- Jazz Band
- Lab Jazz Band
- Chamber Orchestra
- Concert Choir
- Chamber Choir
- Pit orchestra
Model United Nations / Model Congress
South Plainfield High School's Model United Nations (SPMUN) has achieved regional and nationwide recognition since being inaugurated in 2007-08. The program was founded and is currently advised by Social Studies teacher Miten Shah.
- At the Rutgers Model Congress 2000 conference, the school earned the Best Small Delegation Award (1st place overall), with four students earning individual awards.
- At the Boston Invitational Model UN (BosMUN) 2015 conference, the school earned the Outstanding Small Delegation Award (2nd place overall), with five delegates winning individual awards.
- At the Rutgers Model Congress 2015 conference, the school earned the Best Small Delegation Award (1st place overall), with several students winning individual awards.
- At the Philadelphia Model UN 2016 conference, the school earned the Best Small Delegation Award (1st place overall), with 8 out of 17 students winning individual awards.
- At the Rutgers Model Congress 2016 conference, the school earned the Outstanding Small Delegation Award (2nd place overall), with two delegates winning individual awards.
South Plainfield High School's First Robotics Team (FRC) Tiger Tech 5624 has achieved several awards and has gained several victories since starting its rookie year in 2015.
- At the Mid Atlantic District event 'Bridgewater-Raritan' in 2015, Tiger Tech earned both Rookie All Star and Highest Rookie Seed awards.
- At the Mid Atlantic District event 'North Brunswick' in 2015, Tiger Tech was an Alliance Captain as well as earning the Highest Rookie Seed award.
- At the Mid Atlantic District Championship in 2015, Tiger Tech was awarded the Rookie Inspiration award.
- At the Mid Atlantic District event 'Mount Olive' in 2016, Tiger Tech claimed a first-place victory as well as the Judges' award.
- At the Mid Atlantic District event 'Bridgewater-Raritan', Tiger Tech earned a first-place victory for the second time in its 2016 season.
- The team went on in 2016 to compete at the St. Louis FRC World Championship and earned a ranking of 31st out of 75 in the Archimedes Division.
The South Plainfield High School Tigers compete in the Greater Middlesex Conference, which includes public and private high schools located in the greater Middlesex County area, and operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 821 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North II, Group III for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 778 to 1,062 students in that grade range.
The wrestling team has won Group III state titles in 2001, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2012 and 2013 and won Group II state titles in 2000 and 2007. The eight group titles won by the program are tied for the sixth most of all teams in the state. In 2007, the wrestling team took Central Group II with a 48-16 win over Raritan. The team then moved on to win a Group II state title that year with a 58-6 semifinal win against Point Boro and a 42-9 in the finals against Hackettstown. In 2008, the wrestling team lost to David Brearley High School in the North 2 Group II sectional final.
In 2013, Anthony Ashnault became the first wrestler in state history to win four consecutive state championships while being undefeated in his high school wrestling career, finishing with an overall record of 170-0 during his four years at South Plainfield.
In 2015, the baseball team won the NJSIAA Group III state baseball title, the program's first state championship, defeating Northern Burlington County Regional High School by a score of 8-4 in the tournament final.
The team won the North II Group III state sectional title in 2004.
The 2005 softball team captured a North II Group III title with a 2-0 victory over Voorhees High School in the sectional final. They then defeated North I, Group III sectional champion Sparta High School to advance to the Group III final, where they defeated Northern Burlington County Regional High School in the final to capture the Group III state championship. The team had won state titles in Group II in both 1989 and 2000.
Members of high school administration are:
- Ronnie Spring - Principal
- Kelly Richkus - Vice Principal
- Patrick Sarullo - Vice Principal
- School data for South Plainfield High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- South Plainfield High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 7, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 1, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 8, 2012.
- Music Department Website, South Plainfield High School. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- History of the NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 31, 2017.
- 2007 Team Wrestling Tournament - Central, Group II, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 4, 2007.
- 2007 Team Wrestling Tournament - Group II Championship, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 5, 2007.
- Stanmyre, Matthew. "Anthony Ashnault of South Plainfield becomes first undefeated four-time state wrestling champion in history", The Star-Ledger, March 10, 2013. Accessed April 26, 2013. "Anthony Ashnault threw his arms high in the air and screamed at the top of his lungs. He had just defeated Gary Dinmore of Hunterdon Central, 4-2, in the 138-pound championship match at the NJSIAA/Resilite Championships at Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall, becoming the first undefeated four-time state champion in New Jersey history.... With Sunday night's victory, Ashnault finished his career with a 170-0 record and four state titles — a mark of perfection never seen before in state history."
- Narducci, Marc. "South Plainfield defeats Northern Burlington for Jersey Group 3 state baseball title", The Philadelphia Inquirer, June 6, 2015. Accessed March 21, 2016. "In a game in which both teams were aiming for their first state baseball title, South Plainfield used timely hitting and solid relief pitching from Jake Alba to beat Northern Burlington, 8-4 in Saturday's state Group 3 final at Toms River North."
- History of the NJSIAA Field Hockey Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 31, 2017.
- 2005 Softball - North II, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed July 16, 2007.
- Moorhouse, Ed. "Northern's bid comes up short", Burlington County Times, June 12, 2005. Accessed September 7, 2012.
- Goldberg, Jeffrey. "History of the NJSIAA Softball Championships", New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 7, 2012.
- Public Past State Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 31, 2017.
- 2007 Girls Basketball - Public Group Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 10, 2008.
- Edwrds, Rob. "Boys soccer: South Plainfield tops Princeton, 4-3, wins Group 3 state title", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, November 23, 2014. Accessed November 25, 2016. "The South Plainfield High School boys soccer team is now the proud owner of a NJSIAA/Sports Authority Group 3 championship - the first in the program's history - after a 4-3 victory over Princeton at Kean University Sunday morning."
- 2015 NJSIAA Soccer Championship Program, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 31, 2017.
- Administration, South Plainfield High School. Accessed October 31, 2015.
- South Plainfield High School
- South Plainfield Public Schools
- South Plainfield Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the South Plainfield Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
- SPHS Music Department Website
- SPHS Media Center
- SPHS Athletics