South Plantation High School
|South Plantation High School|
1300 SW 54th Ave|
Plantation, Florida 33317
|School district||Broward County Schools|
|Superintendent||Robert W. Runcie|
Purple, White, and Gold|
|Nickname||South or South Plant|
|Newspaper||The Sword & Shield|
South Plantation High School, also known locally as simply "South" (to avoid confusion with Plantation High), is a four-year, public high school located in the city of Plantation, Florida in the United States.
SPHS is part of the Broward County Public Schools District, which is the sixth-largest district in the nation with over 258,000 students enrolled as of the 2007/08 school year. The school was named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence in 1982 and 1983. South Plantation had an FCAT school grade of "A" for the 2010-11 academic year.
As of 2016, the total student enrollment was 2,422. The ethnic makeup of the school was, 41% Black, 30% Hispanic, 25% White, 2% Asian or Pacific Islander, 2% Multiracial, and 0% Native American or Native Alaskan.
- Manny Abad, professional football player
- Robby Anderson, NFL wide receiver for New York Jets
- Richard Bleier (born 1987), Major League Baseball player with Baltimore Orioles
- Colin Cole, NFL player
- Alex Collins, NFL player with Baltimore Ravens
- Erin DiMeglio, first female Florida high school quarterback
- Diplo, DJ, record producer, songwriter, and record executive
- Wayne Federman, comedian, film and television actor
- Marc Kudisch (born 1966), Broadway actor
- Donna Pastore, professor, collegiate softball coach and player, University of Florida Hall of Fame
- Alfredo Roberts, former NFL player
- Ricco Ross, film and television actor
- Zane Hijazi, YouTube Creator
- Heath Hussar, YouTube Creator
- Winter guard
Extracurricular activities and clubs
- 4H (4H program)
- Band - A year-long course consisting of marching band and color guard for the 1st semester of the school year, and concert band or wind ensemble the 2nd semester of the year.
- Best Buddies
- Business Professionals of America[permanent dead link] (BPA) - Students pursuing careers in the business and information technology fields are shown how to advance leadership, citizenship, academic, and technological skills, through Intern Programs, Skill Assessment Guides, and Special Recognition Awards.
- Chess Club
- Distributive Education Clubs of America[permanent dead link] (DECA) - Students who are interested in business marketing, management, and entrepreneurship participate in many activities, including the Fashion Show, Thanksgiving Food Drive, Adopt-an-Angel Toy Drive, MDA, SHAPE, Hurricane Relief projects, and competitions.
- Drama/Thespians - The drama program has put on productions of Big the Musical, Grimm's Fairytales, Shrek the Musical, Oedipus Rex, and The Addams Family.
- ER Ambassadors[permanent dead link] - Students travel to elementary schools to teach environmental activities. They help with recruiting new students to the high school program, and earn volunteer hours by working with community organizations on weekend events.
- First Priority- Christian club where students talk about Christ and God
- FIRST Robotics
- Florida Future Educators of America (FFEA)
- French Club
- Friendship Club
- Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA)
- Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)
- Human Relations Council
- Inter-Club Council (ICC)
- JROTC (Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps)
- Key Club
- Literary Magazine
- Massive Appeal (Dance Team)
- Mu Alpha Theta
- Multicultural Club
- National Honor Society (NHS)
- The Paladin Society - Students travel to Renaissance festivals, in order to educate patrons on different aspects of society during the Middle Ages. Such as, medieval and Renaissance era weaponry, armor, customs, medicine, and superstitions.
- Quill and Scroll
- Salsa Club
- Sign of the Knights
- Solar Knights
- Spanish Club
- Special Olympics
- SPTV - South was one of the first schools to establish a morning t.v program
- Step Team
- Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD)
- Student Government Association (SGA)
- Students Taking On Paralysis (STOP)
- Sword and Shield (newspaper)
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Yearbook: The Prospectus Yearbook Staff produced two FSPA "All Florida" award-winning yearbooks: both the 2008 and 2009 editions.
- South Plantation High School
- South Plantation High School Engineering Program
- The Culpepper Journalism Foundation - A fund created by a former South Plantation teacher, with the goal of, assisting students who wish to attend summer journalism programs.
- Doug Parrish Career & Technology Scholarship[permanent dead link] - A scholarship set up for the further education of a graduating senior, who pursued a Career and Technology course of study at South Plantation.