South Point School (India)
|South Point Group of Schools, Kolkata|
|Birla Building, 9/1 R. N. Mukherjee Road, Kolkata - 700001|
|Motto||Courage to Know|
|Established||1 April 1954|
|Director||Dr. Madhu Kohli (Junior school)|
|Principal||Dalbir Kaur Chadda(Junior school)|
|Principal||Rupa Sanyal Bhattacharjee (High School)|
300 (Junior school)|
275 (High school)
200 (Junior school)|
220 (High school)
Nursery I to V (Junior school) |
VI to XII
|Number of students||12000|
Navy blue |
Nursery books, song books and CDs(Junior school),|
Write Now (High school wall magazine)
Pointer (School magazine)
South Point School (SPS) or South Point High School (SPHS) is a co-educational private day school located in Kolkata, West Bengal. The school opened in the year, 1954 and introduced higher secondary level in 1960. The school split into two buildings with the high school shifting to Ballygunge Place in 1980.
South Point group of schools, consisting of the junior and senior divisions, made an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest educational institute in the world in 1984 till 1992. The existing South Point school in Kolkata of the M.P. Birla Group, which was, till recently, managed by R. S. Lodha, has around 13,500 regular students on its rolls, and is reported to be the second-largest school in the world. The EducationWorld - IMRB International Survey ranked South Point High School at fourth in their 2007 list of India's most respected schools.
From March 30, 2011 the students were given choice to study either under West Bengal Board or CBSE. Till Class V the course remained the same and from Class VI according to their choice students can either go for state board or the central one.
Noted academician, political analyst & renowned federalist, Indian Statistical Institute
- Abhijit Vinayak Banerjee, Professor of Economics, MIT
- Amitava Raychaudhuri, Professor of Physics, University of Calcutta
- Amit Kumar, Indian playback singer, actor, director and music director
- Supriya Chaudhuri, scholar of English literature
- Ritabrata Banerjee, politician, member of Rajya Sabha, India
- Bedabrata Pain, scientist and inventor
- Sucharit Sarkar, mathematician
- Bauddhayan Mukherji, filmmaker
- Koena Mitra, actor,
- Pratim D. Gupta, film critic, filmmaker
- Rituparno Ghosh, National Film Award-winning filmmaker
- Sandip Ray, noted filmmaker (son of Satyajit Ray)
- Subrata Sen, filmmaker
- Srijit Mukherji, filmmaker
- Tanmoy Bose, percussionist and tabla player
- Sumit Ranjan Das, High energy physicist and Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar laureate
- Shamik Ghosh, Bengali Author
- "Contact Us". South Point School. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Faculty". South Point School. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Welcome". South Point School. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Nursery Books" (PDF). South Point School. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Kolkata Schools". Coaching Indians. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- Dey, Anurag. "In twilight years, gift of love to teachers". The Tribune. Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- "History". South Point Education Society. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "after which he took charge as assistant principal of South Point high school for seven years". Times of India.
- "Recalling an old school - An institution with little rooted identity". The Telegraph. 12 June 2010. Archived from the original on 13 June 2010. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Group Philanthropic Activities - Educational Activities". Birla Co-operation Limited. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- Thakore, Dilip (August 2007). "India's most respected schools". EducationWorld-IMRB International Survey. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "South Point moves to CBSE, gives kids choice" (Kolkata). The Times of India. 30 March 2011. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
|This article about a school in West Bengal, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|