South Portland High School
|South Portland High School|
|637 Highland Avenue
South Portland, Maine, Cumberland County 04106
|School district||South Portland School Department|
|Number of students||906 (as of May 2016)|
The first high school in what is now South Portland was built in 1874 while the City was part of Cape Elizabeth, Maine. The school was on the 2nd floor of a new municipal building built in 1874 until that building burnt down in 1921. The current building on Highland Avenue was erected in 1952, with a gymnasium added in 1958, an annex in 1962, and an auditorium and cafeteria in 1997. It was originally built for middle school students until the high school and middle school switched building in 1960.
The current high school building has been renovated and expanded. Renovation was approved in a 2010 referendum, and groundbreaking took place in May 2012. Over 100,000 square feet was added to the school. The first stage of expansion to the school was complete in early January 2014. On January 3, 2015, the final phase of the renovations were completed and staff moved into the building to set up for class on January 5. In total, the project lasted 33 months and cost a total of $47.3 million. It was believed to be the most expensive high school project in Maine history paid for entirely without state funds.
- Jim Beattie, Major League Baseball player
- Brett Brown, head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers
- Charlie Furbush, Major League Baseball pitcher
- Edward C. Reynolds, judge, state legislator (Class of 1877)
- Bill Swift, Major League Baseball pitcher
- "New principal sees 'best of both worlds' in South Portland High School". keepMEcurrent. 9 April 2013. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Maxwell, Trevor (1 June 2011). "South Portland residents get a look at school 'investment'". Portland Press Herald. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- DiPhilippo, Kathryn (April 6, 2014). "The origins of South Portland High School". South Portland Sentry. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "Groundbreaking for the South Portland High School Renovation and Addition Project". South Portland School Department. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Harry, David (3 January 2014). "First phase of $47 million South Portland High School expansion set to open". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Bridgers, Leslie (January 3, 2015). "South Portland's overhauled high school ready for opening bell". Portland Press Herald. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Jim Beattie comes home to Maine to large welcome". Bangor Daily News. Associated Press. December 8, 1978. p. 26. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- Pompey, Keith (August 12, 2013). "Sixers hire South Portland native Brett Brown as head coach". Bangor Daily News. Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "Charlie Furbush Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "Arizona Christian University - Baseball: Former MLB Pitcher Bill Swift Hired as ACU Head Coach". Arizona Christian University. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
|This Maine school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|