South River High School (New Jersey)
|South River High School|
|11 Montgomery Street
South River, NJ 08882
|Type||Public high school|
|Established||Current location: 1961
High school program: 1891
|School district||South River Public Schools|
|Asst. principal||Joel Nowicki|
|Enrollment||603 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.0:1|
|Athletics conference||Greater Middlesex Conference|
South River High School is a four-year comprehensive community public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from South River in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the South River Public Schools. South River High School is overseen by the New Jersey Department of Education.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 603 students and 50.2 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.0:1. There were 188 students (31.2% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 50 (8.3% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 227th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 249th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 234th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 186th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 271st in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The South River High School Rams participates in the Greater Middlesex Conference, made up of public and private high schools located in the greater Middlesex County area and operated under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 454 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as Central Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 12 to 467 students in that grade range.
Interscholastic sports offered at South River High School include soccer, football, wrestling, basketball, track and field, cross-country, tennis, bowling, baseball, and softball.
The football team won the Central Jersey Group II state championship in 1977-1979, and won the Central Jersey Group I title in 1980, 1983, 1991, 1995 and 2000.
The wrestling team won the Central Jersey Group I sectional title in 1988, 1991, 1995-1997 and 2002.
National Honor Society
The National Honor Society (NHS) includes students who have proved their dedication to education with their outstanding grades. Initially, a person is required a GPA (grade point average) of 3.5 or higher. This is only available to grades 10, 11, and 12. They must complete another requirement either by essay or an activity sheet. The National Honor Society emphasizes that "Selection to NHS is a privilege, not a right. Students do not apply for membership in the National Honor Society; instead, they provide information to be used by the local selection committee to support their candidacy for membership." (National Honor Society Handbook, 15th edition)
In addition to scholarship (as demonstrated by the GPA), there are three other, equally weighted areas in which potential NHS inductees must excel. These are leadership, service, and character. Academically eligible students who are interested in seeking selection into the NHS are expected to participate in activities, both in and out of school, which will enable them to exhibit these elements. According to the National Honor Society Handbook, "Leadership roles in both the school and community may be considered, provided they can be verified ... In considering service, the contributions [the] candidate has made to school, classmates, and community, as well as the student's attitude toward service can be reviewed ... [and] the society supports and recommends the use of a multi-faceted definition of character known as the `Six Pillars of Character' ... A person of character demonstrates the following six qualities: respect, responsibility, trustworthiness, fairness, caring, and citizenship."
Each year the Faculty Council reviews the information provided by each candidate, as well as faculty evaluation forms in order to make consistent, equitable selection determinations. An individual interview may be offered in an effort to afford candidates an additional opportunity to provide the Faculty Council with relevant information and clarify any questions that may arise.
Core members of the school's administration include:
- Kamilla Buffalino – Principal
- Joel Nowicki – Assistant Principal
Notable alumni of South River High School include:
- Patty Casazza, one of the Jersey Girls, instrumental in the creation of the 9/11 Commission.
- Janet Evanovich (born 1943), author.
- Kenny Jackson (born 1962), former wide receiver for the Philadelphia Eagles and collegiate All-American at Penn State University.
- Frank Mula, writer for The Simpsons.
- Drew Pearson (born 1951), former wide receiver for the Dallas Cowboys.
- Joe Theismann (born 1949), former quarterback for the Washington Redskins.
- Alex Wojciechowicz (1915-1992), offensive lineman and linebacker who played for the Detroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles.
- "SRHS Alumni". Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- School data for South River High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- South River High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 2, 2016.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 7, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 20, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2015.
- Public Past State Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 31, 2017.
- History of the NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 31, 2017.
- Home Page, South River High School. Accessed June 2, 2016.
- Nussbaum, Debra. "IN PERSON; Imagine Trenton. One Author Did.", The New York Times, November 3, 2002. Accessed June 13, 2011. "Not bad for a 59-year-old writer who loves tomato pies and Tastykakes -- a taste in junk food that betrays her South Jersey roots. She graduated from South River High School, married her high school sweetheart and attended Douglass College."
- Penn State coaches profile, Penn State University. Accessed October 11, 2010. "A football, basketball, baseball and track standout at South River High School, the school retired his uniform number 21 in October, 1994."
- Hart, Jolene. "Doh! TV writer one of two grads honored: Co-producer of ABC shows, TV writer returns to South River", Old Bridge Suburban, November 13, 2003. Accessed February 6, 2011. "The entrance to South River may not yet post signs heralding, 'Birthplace of Frank Mula,' but there are more than a few ways Mula has earned recognition as a local celebrity."
- "Al's got your number", Home News Tribune, April 25, 2002. "Former Rams include Theisman, a star at the University of Notre Dame and Super Bowl champion with the Washington Redskins; Drew Pearson, a favorite target of Roger Staubach on the Dallas Cowboys' Super Bowl winners in the 1970s; Alex Wojciechowicz, a member of the pro and college football halls of fame."
- South River High School
- South River Public Schools
- South River Public Schools's 2014–15 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the South River Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics