South San Antonio Independent School District
South San Antonio Independent School District (South San ISD) is a public school district based in San Antonio, Texas (USA). The district serves southern and southwestern portions of the city. For the school year (2015-2016) the district served 9,960 students in 16 schools. This district was the 107th-largest by enrollment in the state of Texas.
The superintendent of South San Antonio Independent School District is Dr. Abelardo Saavedra, who was appointed to the position in March 2014. Prior to this role, he served as superintendent of Corpus Christi Independent School District. During his career, he has also served as a teacher, principal and school district administrator. Saavedra received a bachelor's degree in Science in 1972 and a master's degree in Science in 1974; he earned both degrees at Texas A&I University (now Texas A&M University–Kingsville) in Kingsville. In 1976 he received his Doctor of Philosophy degree in school administration at the University of Michigan in 1976.
High schools (Grades 9-12)
- South San Antonio High School - Mascot: Bobcat, Colors: Blue and White, 1947–Present
Middle schools (Grades 6-8)
- Alan B. Shepard Middle - Mascot: Cougar, Colors: Red, White, and Blue
- Dwight Middle - Mascot: Bobcat, Colors: Blue and White
- Robert C. Zamora Middle - Mascot: Jaguar, Colors: Baby Blue and Navy Blue
- Abraham Kazen Middle- Mascot: Black Panther, Colors: Yellow and Black
Elementary schools (Grades PK-5)
- Five Palms Elementary - Mascot: Eagle, Colors: Blue and White
- Frank Madla Elementary (Formally Royalgate - 19##-2006) - Mascot: Alligator, Colors: Red and White
- Hutchins Elementary - Mascot: Viking, Colors: Purple and White
- Kindred Elementary - Mascot: Tiger, Colors: Red, White and Blue
- Miguel Carrillo, Jr. Elementary - Mascot: Wildcat, Colors: Maroon and White
- Neil Armstrong Elementary - Mascot: Astro, Colors: Red, White and Blue
- Palo Alto Elementary - Mascot: Ram, Colors: Red and Blue
- Price Elementary - Mascot: Cobra, Colors: Blue and Yellow
- Roy P. Benavidez Elementary - Mascot: Patriot, Colors: Red, White and Blue
- South San Antonio High School (West Campus) Mascot: Cougar, Colors: Red and Blue 1976-2008 (Now the administrative offices)
- Abraham Kazen Middle School Mascot: Pathers, Colors: Black and Gold
- Athens Elementary - Mascot: Cowboy, Colors: Blue and White
South San Antonio ISD received a “No Improvement Required” status for the 2016 school year, and none of its schools received failing ratings. This was the second year in a row for the district.
Also the district's STAAR results produced a total of 21 TEA distinctions that were awarded to 10 SSAISD campuses. This equates to two-thirds of the District’s campuses earning at least one distinction, and made it the fourth highest percentage total for all of Bexar County independent school districts.
South San Antonio Independent School District is overseen by a seven-member board. They serve four-year terms by specific geographic district without compensation.
|South San Antonio Board of Trustees|
|Member||Position||District #||Term ends|
|Leticia Guerra||Vice president||4||2018|
|Louis Ybarra Jr.||Trustee||2||2020|
|Elda L. Flores||Trustee||7||2020|
School board elections
Members of the South San Antonio Board of Trustees are elected to four-year terms. Four seats were up for election on November 4, 2014. The District 7 election was for an unexpired two-year term. Four seats were up for election on November 8, 2016.
- Arthur, Myra (2016-03-08). "South San ISD conservator addresses school board division". KSAT-TV. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- "Search for Public School Districts - District Detail for South San Antonio Isd". nces.ed.gov. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "http://www.southsanisd.net/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=10&ModuleInstanceID=158&ViewID=047E6BE3-6D87-4130-8424-D8E4E9ED6C2A&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=6723&PageID=13". www.southsanisd.net. Retrieved 2017-02-06. External link in
- "South San Antonio Independent School District elections (2014) - Ballotpedia". Retrieved 2017-02-06.