South Spur Rail Services
|New South Wales
|Parent||P&O Trans Australia|
|Subsidiaries||Southern & Silverton Rail|
South Spur Rail Services was a Western Australian owned railway company that provides terminal operations and short haul rail services. In February 2006 it purchased Silverton Rail. In March 2007 it was sold to Coote Industrial and in March 2010 to P&O Trans Australia, which in turn was acquired by Qube Holdings
South Spur Rail Services was formed in January 1997 by James Wilson and his three brothers.
It won a number of contracts for hauling infrastructure trains. In Perth it also provided hook-and-pull services for Pacific National's SeaTrain service between Kewdale Freight Terminal and Fremantle Port. In the construction of the Perth to Mandurah railway South Spur Rail Services diesels hauled track and sleepers over the Mount Henry Bridge as far as South Perth.
Until 2008 South Spur Rail Services also operated a Restaurant Train service called the Spirit of the West, using K class locomotive K205 and a number of standard gauge coaches including two hired from Rail Heritage WA.
The company acquired New South Wales railway freight company Silverton Rail in 2006 and renamed it Southern & Silverton Rail, with this subsidiary operating South Spur Rail Services services in New South Wales. In March 2007 the company was sold to Coote Industrial. In May 2010 Coote Industrial sold South Spur Rail Services to P&O Trans Australia. P&O was in turn was acquired by Qube Holdings
- Mount Goldsworthy A class: A3, A5, A7, A8
- Midland Railway F Class: F40
- K class: K203, K205, K206, K210
- KA class: KA212
- N class: NA1874
- R Class: R1902
- ZB class: ZB2120, ZB2125, ZB2129
- 600 class: 602, 603, 607
- "Profile". South Spur Rail Services. Archived from the original on 19 July 2008. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- K205 repaint into Midland Rail Co livery begins The Western Australian Railfan Site August 2002
- South Spur Rail Services joins Coote Industrial WA Business News 26 March 2007
- Corrigan on fast track with $106m ports deal The Australian 19 April 2011
- Purchase of SouthSpur Completed P&O Trans Australia 20 May 2010
- Port Kembla - Diesel Locomotive Fleetlisting Light Railway Research Society of Australia
- South Spur Rail Services The Western Australian Railfan Website
- N / NA / NB classes Westrail Alcos
- First ZB arrives for South Spur Rail The Western Australian Railfan Site 23 January 2003
- ZB Class RailTasmania.com
- Oberg, Leon (2007). Locomotives of Australia. Sydney: Rosenberg Publishing. p. 323. ISBN 9781877058547.