South Station Bus Terminal
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The South Station Bus Terminal, owned by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, is the main gateway for long-distance buses in Boston, Massachusetts. It is located at 700 Atlantic Avenue, at the intersection with Beach Street, in the Chinatown/Leather District neighborhoods. The facility is immediately south-southwest of the main MBTA/Amtrak South Station terminal, and is located above the station platforms and tracks.
The building serves as a nexus to consolidate several intercity bus locations serving Boston into a single central location. This shift facilitated the removal of the main bus terminal at the heart of Dewey Square, a shift from the former Greyhound Bus terminal at 10 St. James Avenue in the Back Bay area, and the transferral of various curbside Chinatown bus lines into this one facility. Continental Trailways service also previously operated from a terminal in the Back Bay, until sometime in the 1980s.
The bus station building, constructed in the 1990s, has a mixture of glass and metal on its exterior, with mainly a red-granite stone and metallic-surfaced interior. Situated just south of and separate from the main South Station train terminal, the bus terminal is strikingly vertical in design, with five floors. Entry is via a long escalator, or a large glass-sided elevator with exterior views. The passageway from the upper entrance lobby towards the main hall has a series of large dark-tinted windows overlooking the railway tracks below.
The station contains a variety of amenities for waiting passengers. These include a newsstand and snack bar; two fast-food outlets: D'Angelos and McDonald's; a number of payphones; free 15-minute public parking on the roof, and restrooms. Like other major transportation facilities, it also contains full service ticket counters, seating areas, and a waiting hall with designated gates leading to individual buses.
- Floor 1: main entrance, walkway to South Station Rail Terminal
- Floor 2: MBTA Transit Police
- Floor 3: bus platforms and boarding gates, concourse, food and concessions, restrooms, pay phones
- Floor 4: offices, conference room
- Floor 5: 15-minute free parking (parking entrance from Kneeland Street)
Bus lines serving the terminal
Unless otherwise indicated, all destinations are in Massachusetts.
- BoltBus (Greyhound owned, Peter Pan operated)
- C&J Bus Lines
- Taunton and New Bedford
- Portsmouth (New Hampshire), Portland, Brunswick, Lewiston, Augusta, Waterville, Bangor (all other destinations are in Maine)
- White River Junction, Burlington, Montreal (Canada) (first two intermediate stops are in Vermont)
- Framingham and New York City (Port Authority Bus Terminal)
- Worcester and New York City (Port Authority Bus Terminal)
- Worcester, Springfield, Albany NY, Schenectady NY, Utica NY, Syracuse NY, Rochester NY, Buffalo NY, Erie PA, and Cleveland OH
- Worcester MA, Albany, Cobleskill, Oneonta, and Binghamton (all other destinations are in New York State, service west of Albany operated by Trailways using the same bus.)
- Providence, Foxwoods Casino, Mohegan Sun Casino, New London, New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford, White Plains, New York Port Authority
- Atlantic City (New Jersey)
- Lucky Star
- New York City (Chinatown, Manhattan)
- Worcester, Framingham, Leominster, Fitchburg, Gardner, Athol, Orange, Erving Bernardston, Greenfield, Brattleboro VT
- New York City (Pennsylvania Station)
- Philadelphia (30th Street Station)
- Washington DC
- Burlington (Vermont)
- New York City (Port Authority Bus Terminal)
- Foxwoods Casino
- Plymouth and Brockton
- Rockland, Plymouth, Sagamore, Barnstable (Rt. 132), and Hyannis
- Rockland, Plymouth, Sagamore, Barnstable (Rt. 132), Hyannis, Harwich, Orleans, Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro, and Provincetown
- Rockland, Marshfield, and Duxbury
- Logan Airport
- Park Square (in Boston)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Station Bus Terminal.|