South Suburban College
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2006)|
|South Suburban College|
|15800 South State Street South Holland, Illinois|
South Suburban College is a community college located in the south suburbs of Chicago serving the Chicago Southland. The main campus is situated in South Holland, Illinois with a second campus called the University and College Center in Oak Forest, Illinois.
South Suburban College was founded in 1927 as Thornton Junior College. At that time, the College was an extension of Thornton Township High School in Harvey, Illinois. The Illinois Community College Act of 1965 created Community College District 510 and enlarged the area served to include Thornton Township High Schools District 205, Thornton Fractional Township High School District 215, and Bremen High School District 228.
In 1969, the name was changed to Thornton Community College to emphasize the comprehensive mission of the College. The College moved into its existing main campus facilities in South Holland in 1972.
In June 1988, the Board of Trustees voted to change the name of the institution to South Suburban College to more accurately reflect the geographic location of the College. In an effort to serve the western portion of the district and to provide opportunities for district residents to complete a four-year degree, the University & College Center was opened in Oak Forest in 1992.
Organization and administration
On average there are more than 17,000 students enrolled at SSC. The current statistics for the demographics of the student body are 65% African American, 25% White, 7% Hispanic, 1% Asian and Pacific Islander, and 2% Other.
The athletics teams are nicknamed the Bulldogs.
- Tom Baldwin (American football) - NFL player, New York Jets
- Tim Byrdak, Major League Baseball player
- Herb Coleman, American player of gridiron football
- Ruth Johnson Colvin, Founder of the non-profit Literacy Volunteers of America, Inc., now called ProLiteracy Worldwide in Syracuse, New York in 1962
- Cliff Floyd, Major League Baseball player
- Rob Mackowiak, Major League Baseball player
- Ron Mahay, Major League Baseball player 
- Julius Matos, Major League Baseball player 
- Steven Whitehurst, author
Mark Edward Wilows, writer for SOAPDOM.com and works in the entertainment industry in Los Angeles
- "Tom Baldwin". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- Bagnato, Andrew (April 25, 1995). "49ers Find A Big Package At Tiny Trinity". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved October 3, 2015.
- "Ruth Johnson Colvin / Lambda-Northwestern". Kappadelta.org. 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2010.
- "Rob Mackowiak Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- "Ron Mahay Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- "Julius Matos Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved November 26, 2012.