South Suburban College
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2006) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Thornton Junior College|
Thornton Community College
|Type||Public community college|
|President||Dr. Lynette D. Stokes|
|Campus||South Holland and Oak Forest|
|Colors||Reflex Blue and White|
South Suburban College was founded in 1927 as Thornton Junior College. At that time, the College was an extension of Thornton Township High School in Harvey, Illinois. The Illinois Community College Act of 1965 created Community College District 510 and enlarged the area served to include Thornton Township High Schools District 205, Thornton Fractional Township High School District 215, and Bremen High School District 228.
In 1969, the name was changed to Thornton Community College to emphasize the comprehensive mission of the College. The College moved into its existing main campus facilities in South Holland in 1972.
In June 1988, the Board of Trustees voted to change the name of the institution to South Suburban College to more accurately reflect the geographic location of the College. In an effort to serve the western portion of the district and to provide opportunities for district residents to complete a four-year degree, the Oak Forest Center was opened in Oak Forest in 1992.
Organization and administration
- Tom Baldwin - NFL player, New York Jets
- Tim Byrdak, Major League Baseball player
- Herb Coleman, American player of gridiron football
- Ruth Johnson Colvin, Founder of the non-profit Literacy Volunteers of America, Inc., now called ProLiteracy Worldwide in Syracuse, New York in 1962
- Cliff Floyd, Major League Baseball player
- Rob Mackowiak, Major League Baseball player
- Ron Mahay, Major League Baseball player 
- Julius Matos, Major League Baseball player 
- As of spring 2019. "Spring Enrollment Report" (PDF). Illinois Community College Board. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- "Tom Baldwin". databaseFootball.com. Archived from the original on November 3, 2012. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- Bagnato, Andrew (April 25, 1995). "49ers Find A Big Package At Tiny Trinity". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved October 3, 2015.
- "Ruth Johnson Colvin / Lambda-Northwestern". Kappadelta.org. 2010. Archived from the original on March 26, 2012. Retrieved December 18, 2010.
- "Rob Mackowiak Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- "Ron Mahay Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- "Julius Matos Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved November 26, 2012.