"South Sudan Oyee!" is the national anthem of South Sudan. The anthem was selected by the South Sudan National Anthem Committee of the Sudan People's Liberation Movement following the launch of a competition to find a national anthem in August 2010. This preceded the independence referendum in January 2011 that led to South Sudan becoming a sovereign state on 9 July 2011. "Oyee!" is translated as "Hooray!"
South Sudan Wayee!
- Oh God
- We praise and glorify You
- For Your grace on South Sudan,
- The land of great abundance
- Uphold us united in peace and harmony.
- Oh motherland
- We rise raising flag with the guiding star
- And sing songs of freedom with joy;
- For justice, liberty and prosperity
- Shall forever more reign.
- Oh great patriots
- Let us stand up in silence and respect,
- Saluting our martyrs whose blood
- Cemented our national foundation,
- We vow to protect our nation.
- Oh God, bless South Sudan!
The committee received 49 entries for the anthem. The working title was "Land of Kush". A competition was held on live television in 2010.
The winning music was composed by students and teachers of Juba University's Music Department led by an Arab originally from the north.