South Tyneside District Hospital
|South Tyneside District Hospital|
|South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust|
|Location||South Shields, South Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Hospital type||District General|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The present hospital was formed following the closure of the Ingham Infirmary in Westoe and is located on the site of the former South Shields General hospital.
Many of the buildings housing the South Shields General hospital were formerly occupied by a workhouse. Although some of these blocks remain, many have been demolished and almost all clinical services (along with those of the Ingham Infirmary) have been transferred to the four storey Ingham Wing and the adjoining extensions housing maternity, oupatient, radiology and accident and emergency services. The Bede wing, located near Harton Lane, houses the psychiatric wards.
Services at South Tyneside District Hospital include accident and emergency, medical and surgical wards, radiology, maternity, orthopaedics, intensive care, anaesthetics, physiotherapy, pharmacy and care of the elderly.
One of the services provided by South Tyneside District Hospital are the urgent care community services. Nurse lead teams that assess, treat and provide care to patients in their own homes with acute or exacerbated conditions.
The Trust recorded a deficit of £1 Million in 2012-13 but predicts a break even in 2013-14.
It achieved the bronze status Investors in People Award in 2015. It was named by the Health Service Journal as one of the top hundred NHS trusts to work for in 2015. At that time it had 3818 full time equivalent staff and a sickness absence rate of 5.71%. 63% of staff recommend it as a place for treatment and 57% recommended it as a place to work. The trust reported a 6.7% staff absence rate, the highest in England in 2014/5.
The trusts staffing costs are said to be 10% higher than comparable organisations. It has had the highest staff sickness absence rate of any acute trust in England for four years in a row, with an average rate of 5.6% of days lost to sickness absence for the first three quarters of 2016-17.
- NHS Choices website, Retrieved Sept 2011
- South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust website, Retrieved July 2011
- "Trust wins council social care contract". Health Service Journal. 7 August 2014. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "More than a third of trusts predict year-end deficit". Local Government Chronicle. 13 March 2014. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- "South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust praised for treatment of staff". Sunderland Echo. 27 May 2015. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "HSJ reveals the best places to work in 2015". Health Service Journal. 7 July 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "Agency spending: the real picture". Health Service Journal. 26 November 2015. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "Hospital trust tops sickness absence table for fourth year in a row". Health Service Journal. 28 April 2017. Retrieved 28 April 2017.