South Ural State University
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Южно-Уральский Государственный Университет
|Chelyabinsk Mechanics and Technology Institute (CMTI)
Chelyabinsk Polytechnic Institute (CPI)
Chelyabinsk State Technical University (CSTU)
|Motto||Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam|
Motto in English
|I shall either find a way or make one|
|Established||December 15, 1943|
|President||German Platonovich Vyatkin|
|Rector||Aleksandr Leonidoviсh Shestakov|
South Ural State University (SUSU) (Russian: Южно-Уральский Государственный Университет (ЮУрГУ)) in Chelyabinsk is one of the largest educational institutions in Russia. It is among the top-ten of the Russian universities according to the state rating of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, and the largest in Russia in terms of the number of undergraduates.
There are over 50 thousand students and more than 5 thousand faculty members and staff at the University, including 270 professors and 1020 associate professors. Among them are four academicians and five Corresponding Members of the Russian Academy of Sciences, over 90 academicians of various public academies, and four members of foreign academies.
The Chelyabinsk Mechanical Engineering Institute was founded on 15 December 1943 to train engineers for the armaments industry during World War II.
An information and library complex comprises over 2.5 million books and is supplied with an electronic catalogue, electronic resources hall and open hall of access to economic sciences.
The University possesses a supercomputer; linguistic centres with a digital audio equipment; a centre of preparatory training; open and distance learning institute. A special centre of the University deals with the gifted children within the framework of such international programmes as “The Odyssey of the Mind” and “A Step into the Future”.
Organization and administration
SUSU has developed for many years as a large regional university. However, in view of the Bologna Process and the reform of the higher education system of Russia, the main aims of the University now include an active integration with European universities; the development and realization of joint academic, scientific and innovation programmes; the provision of teachers and students mobility; the introduction of an effective system of education quality control. The University represents a system of educational institutions that includes 35 faculties, 13 branches and three representative offices, 166 departments; two faculties for professional retraining and advanced education; 53 computer centres.
- Institute of Sport, Tourism and Service — offers educational programmes in physical training, sport, customer service and tourism.
- Institute of Economics, Trade and Technology — offers quality training of professionals for economy, business, banks, ad agencies, commercial and catering enterprises, expert companies and tax authorities.
- Institute of Supplementary Education — provides an advanced education in construction and architecture; metallurgy, machinery and materials processing; Economics and Management; means of transport; energy, power engineering and electrical engineering.
- Institute for Open and Distance Education
- Institute for International Education — trains specialists for administrative, consultation, expert analytical, and research work in international organizations, representative bodies, diplomatic agencies, ministries and departments of the Russian Federation, foreign banks and firms, international offices, government and non-government institutions.
- Aerospace Engineering
- Architecture and Construction
- Automobile and Tractor Engineering
- Computational Mathematics and Computer Science
- Computer Technologies, Control and Radio Electronics
- Economics and Business Studies
- Economics and Management
- Engineering and Economics (Correspondence Study)
- Law Enforcement Preparation
- Mathematics, Mechanics and Computer Science
- Material Science and Metallurgical Technologies
- Mechanical and Technological
- Military Education
- Power Engineering
Education is realized according to 15 programmes of basic professional education; 19 programmes of secondary professional education; 203 programmes of higher education (for bachelors, specialists and masters); 71 specialties of postgraduate and doctoral studies.
As of 2006 the University had trained 150 thousand specialists. Over 2100 Candidates and over 440 Doctors of Science have defended their theses.
The research activity of the University combines fundamental, applied and humanitarian studies. They are coordinated by the department of research that, apart from scientific faculties and departments, includes a scientific research institute of numeral systems, a scientific research institute of industrial ecology chemical problems at the Russian Academy of Ecology, a scientific centre of the Ural branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, State scientific institution “South Ural innovation center of new technologies”, an engineering centre of automation and control, and 10 departments and laboratories of corresponding institutes and academies. Young scientists are involved in various projects financed by the Chelyabinsk region administration with the framework of scholarship and grant programmes.
The Center for creative work and leisure that organizes the activity of SUSU in accordance with five main areas: amateur creative work, theatrical events, amateur groups, student philharmonic society, educational and methodological work, has been working since 1999.
It comprises more than 40 student groups of various types, including a jazz-brass band, two chorus groups, eight dance groups, four vocal ensembles, a theatre studio, a fashion theatre, four instrumental ensembles, and a club of art song.
The development of physical and sports movement as a means of students’ and teachers’ health support is one of the priority lines of SUSU activity. Over 14 thousand students regularly take physical exercises. For over 50 years SUSU holds an annual University Sports Day including 22 kinds of sport, a mass autumn cross-country race and a track-and-field relay race for the prizes of the Students Union and the University newspaper “Technopolis”.
The sports complex of SUSU includes one of the three largest swimming-pools in Russia (50 meter with 10 water-lanes); an indoor field-and-track hall with a 200-meter running track; specialized basketball, volleyball, boxing, wrestling, weight-lifting grounds; a hockey pitch and a skiing lodge, tennis courts and billiard halls.
The recreation and sports complex on the bank of Lake Bolshoy Sunukul consists of a student camp, a children's recreation camp, and a recreation centre for teachers and staff.
- Alexander Pochinok was the Minister of Taxes and Levies of Russia from 1999 to 2000 and Minister of Labor and Social Development from 2000 to 2004
- Eugene Roshal is a Russian software engineer best known as the developer of: FAR File Manager, RAR file format and WinRAR file archiver
- Gennadiy Kondrashov is a retired male hammer thrower, who competed for the Soviet Union at the 1968 Summer Olympics
- Mikhail Yurevich was the governor of Chelyabinsk Oblast from 2010 to 2014
- Pyotr Sumin was the governor of Chelyabinsk Oblast of Russia from 1996 to 2010
- Taisia Chenchik was a Soviet athlete who competed mainly in the high jump. She won the bronze medal at the 1964 Summer Olympics and won the gold medal at 1963 Summer Universiade
- Viktor Khristenko was First Deputy Prime Minister of Russia in 1999–2000
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Ural State University.|
- (in Russian) and (in English) Official English language and Russian language South Ural State University website
- (in Russian) and (in English) Official English language and Russian language South Ural State University (date) website
- (in Russian) Official SUSU rector website
- (in Russian) Official TV and Radio Company “SUSU-TV” of South Ural State University website
- (in Russian) and (in English) Official English language and Russian language Scientific Library SUSU website
- (in Russian) and (in English) Official English language and Russian language SUSU International department website
- (in Russian) Official “Automobile and Tractor” SUSU department website
- (in Russian), (in English) and (in Italian) Official English language and Russian language SUSU department of
“Machine and Cutting Tools” website
- (in Russian) Official Education and Methodical SUSU department
- (in Russian) Official Chelyabinsk Regional Centre for Graduate Employment vocational education
- (in Russian) Official SUSU Regional Centre for employment of students and graduates
- (in Russian) Official SUSU Supercomputer Center website
- (in Russian) Official portal of Information-analytical system (IAS) “Univeris”