South Valley Fire
This article documents a current wildfire. Information regarding this event may change rapidly and may be unreliable. The last updates to this article may not reflect the most current information about this wildfire for all areas. This wildfire is still actively burning so residents should refer to local authorities for up-to-date information. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|South Valley Fire|
|Location||Dufur, Wasco County, Oregon, United States|
|Date(s)||August 1, 2018–|
|Burned area||20,000 acres (81 km2)|
The South Valley Fire is a human-caused wildfire currently burning in Wasco County near Dufur in the U.S. state of Oregon. The fire is one of three fires near Dufur, specifically the active Long Hollow Fire and the contained Substation Fire. The South Valley Fire has burned 20,000 acres (81 km2). It has caused the evacuation of 400 people and threatens 100 homes. It has impacted recreational activities along the Deschutes River.
The fire was started around 1:30 p.m. on August 1, 2018, near Dufur in Wasco County, Oregon. The fire grew fast, burning almost 3,500 acres (14 km2) by the evening. Level three evacuations were put in place and Governor Kate Brown call into action the emergency conflagration act as a result of the fire, sending resources. Highway 197 was closed. The Bureau of Land Management issued an evacuation for areas along the Deschutes River, specifically from Sandy Beach to Macks Canyon. As of the evening of August 1, the fire had burned an estimated 6,000 acres (24 km2). The next day, it had grown exponentially to 20,000 acres (81 km2) with 400 people evacuated. A historic barn, built in 1906, was burned by the fire.
The South Valley Fire was one of three fires to have burned in the area, adding to the heavy smoke and evacuations already in place, particularly around the community of Dufur. The fire also impacted recreational activities along the Deschutes River.
- 82000 block of Rail Hollow Road to the forest boundary
- All of Winslow Road and Shell Rock Road
- South of the above zone all the way south to Friend Road
- Dufur Gap Road
- Hix Road to Kingsley Road
- Hwy 197 to forest boundary
- Tygh Ridge Road
- The Deschutes River from Sandy Beach to Macks Canyon
- Haas, Elise (2 August 2018). "Farmers, firefighters band together to save historic barn". KOIN. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- "Level 3 evacuations expand as South Valley Fire spreads". KOIN 6 News. 2 August 2018. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- Lerten, Barney (2 August 2018). "New wildfire races across 6,000-acres near Dufur". KTVZ. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- "More evacuation orders issued as 'terrifying' South Valley Fire grows to 6,000 acres". Fox 12 Oregon. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
|This Oregon-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|