South Venice, Florida
South Venice, Florida
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Total||6.4 sq mi (16.6 km2)|
|• Land||6.0 sq mi (15.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||13 ft (4 m)|
|• Density||2,200/sq mi (840/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0291427|
South Venice is a census-designated place (CDP) in Sarasota County, Florida, United States. The population was 13,949 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Bradenton–Sarasota–Venice Metropolitan Statistical Area.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 6.4 square miles (16.6 km2), of which 6.0 square miles (15.6 km2) is land and 0.39 square miles (1.0 km2), or 6.17%, is water.
South Venice is west of North Port, south of Venice, and north of Englewood. In 2014, a land partnership with Mattamy Homes was created to develop the West Villages, a large community of subdivisions.
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,539 people, 5,823 households, and 4,081 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 2,179.2 people per square mile (841.8/km2). There were 6,605 housing units at an average density of 1,063.1/sq mi (410.7/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.67% White, 0.40% African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.50% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.36% from other races, and 0.80% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.74% of the population.
There were 5,823 households, out of which 23.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.5% were married couples living together, 9.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.9% were non-families. 22.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 2.69.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 19.5% under the age of 18, 5.1% from 18 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 25.1% from 45 to 64, and 25.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females, there were 93.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.9 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $36,590, and the median income for a family was $40,830. Males had a median income of $29,287 versus $23,466 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $18,787. About 3.0% of families and 5.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.7% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): South Venice CDP, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved April 15, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Census area returned as Venice South in 1970.