South Wales Geologists' Association
The South Wales Geologists' Association (SWGA) is an affiliated local group of the Geologists' Association. It was founded in 1960 (Douglas Bassett and T. R. Owen being amongst the co-founders) and registered as a charity in 1996 (no. 1054303).
The SWGA's aims are the study and promotion of geology in South Wales. Anyone with an interest in geology and the earth sciences is welcome, professional or amateur. Activities include field trips during the summer season, and lectures at Swansea or Cardiff University's geology departments during the winter season, as well as support for Rockwatch activities for young people and geological events for the public.
In addition, the South Wales Geologists' Association maintains close links with like-minded organisations such as the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority, the Fforest Fawr Geopark, the Southern Wales regional group of the Geological Society, the Wales & West branch of the Russell Society, and the Cardiff Naturalists' Society.
Past Chairmen and Presidents
The group was headed by a chairman during the period 1959–1996, and by a president from 1996 onwards.
Source : Group of Chairmen 1959–1992, from "GEOLOGISTS’ ASSOCIATION, SOUTH WALES GROUP, A GEOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE 1960–1992", p. 24–25, Compiled by ALUN J. THOMAS, supplemented from SWGA archives and minutes.
|Douglas A. Bassett||1959–1962|
|David E. Morgan||1962–1964|
|David J. W. Thomas||1964–1966|
|T. Richard Owen||1966–1968|
|John C. W. Baker||1968–1970|
|Trevor M. Thomas||1970–1972|
|D. Emlyn Evans||1974–1976|
|Rodney A. Gayer||1976–1978|
|Derek V. Ager||1978–1980|
|John W. Perkins||1980–1982|
|John C. W. Cope||1982–1984|
|Alan G. Thomas||1984–1986|
|Anthony T. S. Ramsay||1986–1988|
|R. Alan Stephens||1988–1990|
|Alun J. Thomas||1990–1992|
|Michael G. Bassett||1992–1994|
|W. R. Gareth Davies||1998–2000|
|Steven G. Howe||2000–2002|
Publications cater for a range of geological ability and include field guides, geological booklets and guided walks leaflets to areas of interest in South Wales. Amongst them are:
- Michael G. Bassett 1982 (ISBN 0720002494) Geological excursions in Dyfed, south-west Wales
- Howe, S., Owen, G. & Sharpe, T. 2005 (ISBN 0903222019) Walking the Rocks
- Dilys Harlow 2014 (ISBN 0903222027) The Land of the Beacons Way: Scenery and Geology Across the Brecon Beacons National Park
- "Affiliated and Local Groups of the Geologists' Association". Geologistsassociation.org.uk. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- Charity Commission
- "Geology of Pembrokeshire". Pembrokeshireonline.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- Fforest Fawr Geopark
- "Geological_Society, Southern Wales Regional Group". Geolsoc.org.uk. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- "Russell Society, Wales & West Branch". Russellsoc.org. 2012-10-21. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- "Cardiff Naturalists' Society". Cardiffnaturalists.org.uk. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- South East Wales RIGS
- Group of Chairmen 1959–1992
- Google Books. Books.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-10-11.