South Yarra railway station
Station front in May 2011
|Location||Toorak Road, South Yarra
|Distance||5.41 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||6 (2 side, 2 island)|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||22 December 1860|
|Previous names||Gardiners Creek Road|
South Yarra railway station is located in the south-eastern Melbourne suburb of South Yarra, on the Pakenham, Cranbourne, Frankston and Sandringham lines, in Victoria, Australia. V/Line's Bairnsdale rail service (the Gippsland line) passes non-stop through the station.
The station is a premium station, and, according to Public Transport Victoria data, was the 11th busiest train station on the Melbourne metropolitan network, with 49,000 entries each week in 2011/12.
The station was opened on 22 December 1860, by the Melbourne and Suburban Railway Company, as Gardiners Creek Road. Initially, the station served the Brighton line, on what was called the "Prahran Branch". The station was renamed South Yarra on 1 January 1867. The private railway company, then known as the Melbourne and Hobsons Bay United Railway Company, was taken over by the Government of Victoria in 1878, becoming part of Victorian Railways.
Cooper (1924) advises that when the South Yarra to Oakleigh line was first laid, a set of points connected the line to the existing Brighton line. In practice, it was found that a high embankment obscured vision from approaching trains on both lines. To avert a disaster, it was decided that the Oakleigh line should have its own tracks into Melbourne, and soon after, a second bridge, spanning the Yarra River, was built to facilitate this. (p. 307). The construction of the South Yarra to Oakleigh line hastened the demise of the Outer Circle railway line.
The station was upgraded to Premium station status in 1996.
Platforms & services
- Pakenham line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Cranbourne line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Pakenham line: all stations and limited stops services to Pakenham
- Cranbourne line: all stations and limited stops services to Cranbourne
Yarra Trams operates one route via South Yarra station:
- PTV releases research showing how we use our train network, 18 June 2013, Public Transport Victoria
- South Yarra Vicsig
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. March 1987. p. 91.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- Pakenham Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Cranbourne Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Frankston Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Sandringham Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 58 timetable Public Transport Victoria