Southbank tram depot
Entry to the depot, looking back to the
city in August 2008
|Location||Normanby Road, Southbank|
|Roads||9 (2 in workshops, 7 outside)|
|Rolling stock||17 W-class
|Routes served||12, 30, 35, 96|
|Opened||8 February 1997|
Southbank tram depot opened on 8 February 1997 on the site of the former Montague shipping shed replacing South Melbourne depot. When the Public Transport Corporation was privatised in August 1999, Southbank depot passed to Yarra Trams. The depot was extended in 2009 as part of the E-class tram project.
The main yard has nine roads, two of these inside a maintenance shed. There are also two stabling roads for the three Colonial Tramcar Restaurant cars, which also operate from this depot. Two entrances exist, East Gate and West Gate.
As at January 2017, the depot had an allocation of 69 trams: 17 W-class, 12 A1-class, 12 A2-class, 5 C2-class and 23 E-class. Servicing of Z3-class trams from other depots is performed at Southbank, however these trams are not used on Southbank routes.
The following routes are operated from Southbank depot:
- 12: Victoria Gardens to St Kilda
- 30: St Vincent's Plaza to Docklands Stadium
- 35: City Circle
- 96: Brunswick East to St Kilda Beach
- "Melbourne's Electric Trams" Trolley Wire issue 307 November 2006 page 11
- "Yarra Trams" Trolley Wire issue 279 November 1999 page 25
- Southbank tram depot gets an upgrade Yarra Trams 29 July 2009
- "Southbank Depot". Vicsig. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Route 12 Yarra Trams
- Route 30 Yarra Trams
- City Circle Tram Yarra Trams
- "Route 96". Yarra Trams. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
Media related to Southbank tram depot at Wikimedia Commons