Southbury railway station
Location of Southbury in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Enfield|
|Managed by||London Overground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|1 October 1891||Opened as Churchbury|
|1 October 1909||Closed|
|1 March 1915||Re-opened|
|1 July 1919||Closed|
|21 November 1960||Re-opened as Southbury|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portal
Southbury railway station is in the London Borough of Enfield in North London, in Travelcard Zone 5, on the Southbury loop of the Lea Valley Lines. The station, and all trains serving it, are operated by London Overground.
The line from Bury Street Junction, north of Edmonton Green, to Cheshunt was opened by the Great Eastern Railway on 1 October 1891 when this station opened as Churchbury. The line was known as the Churchbury Loop.
The district was still predominantly rural, and the coming of the tram to Waltham Cross in 1904 saw the railway unable to compete. Passenger services ceased on 1 October 1909, but were reinstated for munitions workers between 1 March 1915 and 1 July 1919.
After that the line was used only by goods trains until electrified as part of a wider scheme, and the station reopened as Southbury on 21 November 1960. The line is now known as the Southbury Loop.
The goods yard closed in 1970.
The typical off-peak service of trains per hour (tph) is as follows:
|Operator/line||Frequency to destination|
|London Overground||2 tph all stations to London Liverpool Street
2 tph all stations to Cheshunt
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- White, H.P., A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Volume 3 Greater London, David & Charles, 1987
- Brown, Joe, London Railway Atlas, page 5, Ian Allan Publishing, 2006
- TFL appoints London Overground operator to run additional services Transport for London 28 May 2014
- TfL count on LOROL for support Rail Professional 28 May 2014
- GB National Rail Timetable 2016, Table 21
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Southbury railway station.|
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
towards Liverpool Street
|Enfield & Cheshunt Line||
|This London railway station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|