Southeast High School (Florida)
|Southeast High School|
|1200 37th Avenue East
Bradenton, Florida 34208
|School district||Manatee County School District|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Color(s)||Orange, Blue, Gray, and White|
Southeast High School is a public high school in Bradenton, FL operated by the Manatee County School District & is the only public high school in Manatee County to offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) program.
- 1 Admissions
- 2 Curriculum
- 3 Awards and Distinctions
- 4 Activities
- 5 Athletics
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Southeast High School is a public high school that takes in students from an area determined by the Manatee County School District. However, for admission into the IB program, applications are accepted through February of a student's eighth grade year. These applications consist of a 250-word essay, all report cards from middle school and the students' most recent FCAT scores in reading and mathematics. The application process is slightly different for students applying from Johnson Middle School, a local IB middle school.
The tremendous diversity of Southeast High School results in a very complex curriculum, depending on whether the student is enrolled in the IB program or not. In addition, the school has a large population of students requiring special needs for mental and/or physical disabilities, with an entire wing dedicated to the education of special education students. Moreover, a 4-tiered academy system at the school allows students to graduate with specialties on their High School Diploma.
Traditional High School Students
For students that are not enrolled in the IB program, classes vary wildly depending on the credits earned in middle school. All traditional students are enrolled in Biology their freshman year, proceeding through the physical sciences and chemistry before graduation. Honors Physics classes are also available for students. Students have the option of taking Algebra I, Algebra II or Geometry as a Freshman, depending on their middle school credits, before moving on to Pre-Calculus, Trigonometry and (for a handful of students a year) AP Calculus A/B. They begin with English I and proceed through English II, III and IV for their sophomore, junior and senior years, respectively. Compared to students enrolled in the IB program, traditional students have more electives each year in high school.
International Baccalaureate Students
For students that are enrolled in the IB program, students are required to complete Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Analysis and Functions and Trigonometry or Pre-Calculus and Trigonometry before their Senior year. In addition, unlike traditional students, IB freshmen are enrolled in Chemistry, taking Biology their sophomore year. All classes taken by IB students are taught at a higher level than their non-IB peers, with the prefix "PIB" appearing after the course title in freshman and sophomore year. These are counted as "Honors" classes and are given a higher weight for high school GPA calculation.
In Junior year, students officially enter the IB curriculum, determined by the IB Organization. Due to a limited student body, the diversity of classes taught at the IB level at Southeast High School is very small, with two main "tracks" being offered to students: on the one hand, some students opt for AP Calculus A/B and IB Mathematics SL, AP Biology and IB Biology HL and IB Physics SL; this track is referred to by students as the "Trifecta" On the other hand, some students opt for Analysis of Functions, IB Design Technology HL and IB Music SL, this track is referred to by studemts as the "Boom-fecta". Very few students mix the two tracks together.
Small Learning Communities (Academies)
There are four Academies offered at Southeast High School: Agriscience, Business and Consumer Science (ABC), Vocal and Performing Arts (VPA), Center for Leadership (CL), and Electronics Communications Center (ECC). Every student is required to sign up for an academy, however, participation is voluntary in most academies with the exception of VPA, which mandates that its students fulfill certain requirements. For all academies, if certain conditions are met, a special stamp is affixed to the high school diploma signifying completion of that academy and is recognized by some colleges.
Southeast High School offers two languages: French and Spanish.
Awards and Distinctions
For the school year 2010 - 2011, Southeast High School scored higher on the SAT than all other high schools in the Manatee County School District. In addition, for the same school year, it was named a 5-Star school by the Department of Education.
In 2012, the school was awarded a 'B' ranking by the Florida Department of Education, a full two grade levels above its previous ranking, 'D'.
The school has also been recognized by Newsweek magazine in its annual rankings of high schools in the United States for the year of 2007 and was ranked 330 in 2006, 497 in 2007, 356 in 2008, 277 in 2009 and 512 in 2010.
Every year, many Southeast High School graduates attend top-rank colleges in the United States. The school has had one student attend the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in each of the graduating classes of 2010, 2011 and 2012. In addition, last year a student was accepted to Brown University and the United States Air Force Academy. Students from Southeast have also attended Johns Hopkins University, the United States Military Academy and the United States Naval Academy, Duke University, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, the Georgia Institute of Technology and Florida's top schools such as University of Florida, Florida State University and University of Miami.
Southeast High School has many after-school activities, which frequently earn top honors at the local, state, national and international levels.
Technology Student Association (TSA)
The Technology Student Association (TSA) at Southeast High School is one of the most respected programs in the nation. In 2010, a group of students in the Southeast TSA competed in a Formula One competition, winning first place in an international event in Singapore and subsequently won third place in 2011, setting a record for being a two-time top three finalist. The program has been awarded State and National grand champions on multiple occasions in the past several years.
The SkillsUSA program at Southeast High School is reigning national champions for the years 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2014 in the Broadcast New Category. This is due to the Southeast Television (SETV) program at the school.
Speech and Debate
Southeast boast the largest speech and debate team in Manatee County. It participates in both National Forensics League and Catholic Forensics League tournaments. The students do exceptionally well and have one of the highest number of awards one out of schools in the surrounding area.
Southeast High School has a long tradition of athletic excellence and participates in varsity sports in football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, soccer, weightlifting, volleyball, track, golf, cross country, swimming and rowing/crew.
- Brian Poole, CB, Atlanta Falcons
- Todd Williams, OL, Tennessee Titans/Minnesota Vikings
- John Reeves, LB, San Diego Chargers
- Alphonso Roundtree, DB, Miami Dolphins
- Peter Warrick, WR, Cincinnati Bengals/Seattle Seahawks
- Adrian McPherson, QB, New Orleans Saints
- Reggie Green, OL, Seattle Seahawks
- Ukee Dozier, CB, Minnesota Vikings
- Bosley Allen, WR, San Francisco 49ers
- Keaton Cromartie, LB, Green Bay Packers
- Ahmad Miller, DT, New York Giants
- Steve Cucci, TE, Atlanta Falcons
- Ryan Rantz, WR, New England Patriots
- Mike Jenkins, CB, 2008 Dallas Cowboys 1st Round Draft Pick
- Julius Wilson, OL, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Rod Harper, WR, New Orleans Saints
- AJ Love, WR, Minnesota Vikings
- Jon Hoag, K, Oakland Raiders
- Joe Mays P, Minnesota Twins (2001 MLB All Star)/Kansas City Royals/Cincinnati Reds
- Bruce Westbrook, P, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Staff, Herald. "Under internal investigation by school district, Southeast High principal Catherine Smith resigns". The Bradenton Herald. The Bradenton Herald. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- Loeffel, LeAnne. "IB Southeast Admissions". Southeast High School. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- "Academics". Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- Kenney, Barbara. "VPA". Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- Taylor, Angeline. "Manatee county students score above state average on SATs". Bradenton Herald. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- Kenney, Barbara. "Southeast Receives the Five-Star Award from DOE" (PDF). Southeast High School. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- Hawes, Christine. "Southeast scores a first 'B' in School Rankings". The Bradenton Herald. Retrieved 1/4/2012. Check date values in:
- "Top 1300 High Schools". Newsweek. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- "Best 1600 High Schools". Newsweek. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- "3 Tampa Bay area high schools make top 50 on Newsweek list". Tampa Bay. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- Taylor, Angeline. "Southeast nets nod from MIT for 2nd year". The Bradenton Herald. Retrieved 1/3/2012. Check date values in:
- Gause, Robert. "October 24, 2011 - Regular Meeting". Manatee County School District. Retrieved 1/3/2012. Check date values in:
- Hawes, Christine. "Southeast High IB Student nets full ride to MIT". The Bradenton Herald. Retrieved 1/6/2012. Check date values in:
- Bartolone, Jason. "Stellar Southeast Student knits from the Heart". Bradenton Patch. Retrieved 1/3/2012. Check date values in:
- The Observer Staff. "Buchanan Releases Academy Nominations". Your Observer. Retrieved 1/3/2012. Check date values in:
-  List of Southeast High School Clubs
- "2008 High School Event Finalists". Technology Student Association. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Southeast High School TSA Breaks Record for Top Awards at 2008 State Conference". Tallevast Information Center. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Southeast Captuers 15 First Place Trophies". Bradenton Herald. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "US team crowned F1 in Schools champions". Formula One. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- O'Donnell, Christopher. "Southeast High Team wins F1 Nationals". Manatee Herald-Tribune. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Southeast High's World Championship Unitus Racing's Third Place Finish Sets Record At Formula One In Schools World Finals In Malaysia". Tallevast Information Center. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "SETV: Second National Consecutive Title" (PDF). ACT Update. Manatee County School District. Retrieved 2011-12-29.