Southend Airport railway station
The station in 2012
|Place||London Southend Airport|
|Managed by||Stobart Rail|
|Number of platforms||2|
Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Network Rail|
|18 July 2011||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Southend Airport from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Southend Airport railway station is on the Shenfield to Southend Line in the East of England, serving London Southend Airport, the village of Sutton and northern parts of Southend-on-Sea. It is 39 miles 44 chains (63.65 km) down the line from London Liverpool Street and is situated between Rochford and Prittlewell. The station is managed by Stobart Rail (Stobart Aviation operates the airport) but the trains serving it are operated by Greater Anglia. The Engineer's Line Reference for the line is SSV; the station's three-letter station code is SIA. The platforms have an operational length for 12-coach trains.
The station was designed by Atkins and constructed by Birse Rail; it was opened by the Transport Minister Theresa Villiers in 2011. A new terminal building adjoining the station opened in 2012. Passengers requiring the airport previously had to alight at Rochford and then take road transport.
The typical Monday-Saturday off-peak service is:
- 2 trains per hour (tph) to London Liverpool Street, calling at all stations to Shenfield then Stratford and Liverpool Street.
- 1 tph to London Liverpool Street, calling at all stations to Shenfield then Romford, Stratford and Liverpool Street.
- 3 tph to Southend Victoria, calling at Prittlewell and Southend Victoria.
- "Airport rail station to open next week". Echo Newspapers.
Stobart, not National Express, will employ the staff who man the station and meet passengers getting off the train
- "Birse Rail joins forces with Stobart Rail to construct new railway station at Southend Airport". BalfourBeattyRail. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
Birse Rail is working with Stobart Rail, part of Stobart Group, to oversee the design and construction management of a new railway station at London Southend Airport.
- "New London Southend Airport Railway Station Officially Opens" (PDF). London Southend Airport. 21 September 2011. Retrieved 21 September 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "London Southend Airport opens station and control tower". BBC News. 18 July 2011. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
Media related to Southend Airport railway station at Wikimedia Commons
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Shenfield to Southend Line