|Studio album by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers|
|Released||March 26, 1985|
|Recorded||1983–85 at Gone Gator One; Sound City; Village Recorder; Sunset Sound, LA and Church Studio, London|
|Genre||Heartland rock, southern rock|
|Producer||Tom Petty, Jimmy Iovine, Mike Campbell, David A. Stewart, Robbie Robertson|
|Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers chronology|
|Singles from Southern Accents|
|The Essential Rock Discography||6/10|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
The album's lead single, "Don't Come Around Here No More," cowritten by Dave Stewart of Eurythmics, peaked at #13 on the Billboard Hot 100. Its music video featured Alice in Wonderland imagery. "Southern Accents" was later covered by Johnny Cash for his Unchained album in 1996, on which members of the Heartbreakers play.
The recording sessions saw some tension between the band members, as each had a different vision for the album. Originally conceived as a concept album, the theme of "Southern Accents" became somewhat murky with the inclusion of three songs co-written by Stewart, and three other songs originally planned for the album left off. Songs cut from the track list include "Trailer," "Big Boss Man," "Crackin' Up," "The Image of Me" and "The Apartment Song." These can be found on Playback, a box set released 10 years later that included familiar songs with outtakes, b-sides and other rarities.
While mixing the opening track "Rebels" Petty became frustrated and punched a wall, severely breaking his left hand. Subsequent surgery on his hand left him with several pins, wires and screws to hold his hand together.
The album cover features an 1865 painting by Winslow Homer titled The Veteran in a New Field.
All songs written by Tom Petty, except where noted.
- "Rebels" – 5:21
- "It Ain't Nothin' to Me" (Petty, Dave Stewart) – 5:12
- "Don't Come Around Here No More" (Petty, Stewart) – 5:07
- "Southern Accents" – 4:44
- "Make It Better (Forget About Me)" (Petty, Stewart) – 4:23
- "Spike" – 3:32
- "Dogs on the Run" (Petty, Mike Campbell) – 3:40
- "Mary's New Car" – 3:47
- "The Best of Everything" – 4:03
- Tom Petty – vocals, guitars, piano, keyboards, percussion, producer, bass guitar
- Mike Campbell – guitar, bass guitar, Dobro, keyboards, vocals, producer, slide guitar
- Benmont Tench – piano, keyboards, piano (electric), vocals, vibraphone
- Stan Lynch – drums, percussion, keyboards, vocals
- Howie Epstein – bass guitar, vocals, harmony vocals
- William Bergman – horn, sax (tenor), sound effects, vocals (background)
- John Berry, Jr. – trumpet, horn, sound effects
- David Bianco – engineer
- Ron Blair – bass
- Dick Braun – trumpet, horn, sound effects, vocals (background)
- Steve Breitborde – photography
- Sharon Celani – vocals
- Jim Coile – horn, sax (tenor), sound effects, vocals
- Malcolm Duncan – saxophone
- Molly Duncan – saxophone
- Joel Fein – engineer
- Dean Garcia – bass
- Bobbye Hall – percussion
- Jerry Hey – horn, horn conductor
- Winslow Homer – artwork, cover painting
- Garth Hudson – keyboards
- Jimmy Iovine – producer
- Clydene Jackson – vocals
- Phil Jones – percussion
- Martin Jourard – saxophone
- Dennis Keeley – photography
- Jim Keltner – percussion
- Richard Manuel – vocals, harmony vocals
- Stephen Marcussen – mastering
- Marilyn Martin – vocals
- Kurt McGettrick – horn, sound effects, vocals
- Jack Nitzsche – string arrangement on "Southern Accents"
- Dave Plews – trumpet
- Robbie Robertson – producer
- Daniel Rothmuller – clarinet, cello
- Don Smith – engineer, remixing
- Greg Smith – horn, saxophone, sax (baritone), vocals
- Stephanie Spruill – vocals
- Steele Works – design, cover design
- Tommy Steele – art direction, design, cover design
- David A. Stewart – bass, guitar, keyboards, sitar, vocals, producer
- Julia Tillman Waters – vocals
- Maxine Waters – vocals
- Alan "Bugs" Weidel – engineer
- Maxine Willard Waters – vocals
- Shelly Yakus – engineer, remixing
|New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)||25|
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)||10|
|UK Albums (OCC)||23|
|US Billboard 200||7|
|"Don't Come Around Here No More"||US Billboard Hot 100||13|
|US Mainstream Rock Tracks||2|
|UK Singles Chart||50|
|"Make It Better (Forget About Me)"||US Billboard Hot 100||54|
|US Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||12|
|"Rebels"||US Billboard Hot 100||74|
|US Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||5|
- AllMusic review
- Robert Christgau review
- Strong, Martin C. (2006). The Essential Rock Discography. Edinburgh, UK: Canongate. p. 816. ISBN 978-1-84195-827-9.
- Graff, Gary; Durchholz, Daniel (eds) (1999). MusicHound Rock: The Essential Album Guide. Farmington Hills, MI: Visible Ink Press. p. 870. ISBN 1-57859-061-2.
- Rolling Stone review
- Rolling Stone Album Guide
- "Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – Southern Accents". Charts.org.nz. Hung Medien. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- "Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – Southern Accents". Swedishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- "TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- "Tom Petty – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Tom Petty. Retrieved September 3, 2013.