|Formation||1992; 31 years ago (1992)|
|Purpose||Promoting practice and research in underwater and hyperbaric medicine|
|Headquarters||DAN-SA Building, Rosen Office Park, cnr Invicta & Third Roads,|
The Southern African Underwater and Hyperbaric Medical Association (SAUHMA) is an organisation of voluntary members with a special interest in the subject of underwater and/or hyperbaric medicine, recognised by the Council of the South African Medical Association as a special interest group. The Association promotes the practice and facilitates the study of underwater and hyperbaric medicine. Membership includes members and associate members, and may include medical practitioners; registered nurses; registered paramedics; qualified hyperbaric chamber operators; diving instructors; dive operators, and any other person with a special interest underwater or hyperbaric medicine.
SAUHMA was formed in 1992, and affiliated to the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) in 1994. It follows the UHMS safety and medical recommendations and supports the UHMS HBO Committee's list of indications.
Diving medical registry
It is also the designated agency to provide the national on-line database of all registered designated medical practitioners licensed to perform medical examinations of fitness to dive for commercial divers in South Africa, and of the results of all medical examinations for fitness to dive for commercial divers in terms of Regulations 19 and 20 of the Diving Regulations 2009 to the South African Occupational Health and Safety Act No. 85 of 1993.
- Staff. "What Is SAUHMA?". www.sauhma.org. Southern African Underwater and Hyperbaric Medical Association. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- Cronje, Frans J. "The development of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in south africa". www.hbo.co.za. Pretoria, South Africa: Vascular & Hyperbaric Unit, Life Eugene Marais Hospital. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- Staff. "Policy on Accreditation". www.sauhma.org. Southern African Underwater and Hyperbaric Medical Association. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- "Diving Regulations 2009". Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993 – Regulations and Notices – Government Notice R41. Pretoria: Government Printer. Archived from the original on 4 November 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2016 – via Southern African Legal Information Institute.
- Staff. "Dive Medical Examiner Listing". www.sauhma.org. Southern African Underwater and Hyperbaric Medical Association. Retrieved 12 November 2017.