Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|8,777 apprenticeships, 34,622 corporate training and continuing education|
|Location||Calgary, AB, Canada|
|Colours||Athletics: Red, White. 
Institute: Red, White, Blue. 
|Affiliations||CCAA, AACTI, Alberta Colleges Athletics Conference, CBIE, CUP, Polytechnics Canada|
The Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) is a polytechnic institute in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. SAIT offers more than 100 career programs in technology, trades and business. SAIT is a member of Polytechnics Canada and one of Alberta's Top 50 Employers Established in 1916, it is Calgary's second oldest post-secondary institution and Canada's first publicly funded technical institute.
Campus location and expansion
SAIT's main campus is located on 16 Avenue (the Trans-Canada Highway), overlooking the downtown core of Calgary and is served by the C-train light rail system. SAIT has three other campuses located in Calgary:
- Mayland Heights – Located on Centre Avenue, this facility supports students pursuing a career in auto body, crane and hoisting, recreation vehicle servicing, plumbing and rail.
- Culinary Campus – Located on Stephen Avenue, it provides baking basics and cooking fundamentals. The Culinary Campus also acts as a marketplace, selling food to the general public.
- Art Smith Aero Centre – Occupying 17 acres of land at the Calgary International Airport, this campus supports the School of Transportation.
SAIT offers two baccalaureate degrees (2016), three applied degrees, 73 diploma and certificate programs, 37 apprenticeship trades and more than 1,000 continuing education and corporate training courses.
SAIT delivers skill-oriented education to students through eight schools:
- MacPhail School of Energy
- School of Business
- School of Construction
- School of Health and Public Safety
- School of Hospitality and Tourism
- School of Information and Communications Technologies
- School of Manufacturing and Automation
- School of Transportation
SAIT also has two centres dedicated to providing student support: the Centre for Academic Learner Services and the Centre for Instructional Technology and Development. SAIT's Applied Research and Innovation Services (ARIS) department works in partnership with industry on applied research.
Scholarships and bursaries
SAIT offers more than $4 million in awards to students each year. Awards are available to qualifying students in recognition of academic success, financial need and community involvement.
The Government of Canada sponsors an Aboriginal Bursaries Search Tool that lists more than 770 scholarships, bursaries, and other incentives offered by governments, universities, and industry to support Aboriginal post-secondary participation.
SAIT Residence has two modern high rises located in the northeast corner of its main campus. Both residence towers feature four different floor plans and amenities such as fully furnished units, kitchenettes, high-speed Internet, study lounges and 24-hour security.
Stan Grad Centre
This central building on SAIT's main campus houses food service outlets, study areas, classrooms, the campus bookstore and the library.
SAIT has been a member of the Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference since 1964. The SAIT Trojans are represented basketball, curling, soccer, cross country running, hockey and volleyball. All of SAIT's sports teams share the name Trojans.
SAIT has two on-campus newspapers: The Weal is owned and operated by SAITSA, SAIT's Student Association and the Polytechnic Press is operated by SAIT Journalism students.
The campus radio station, Revolution 103, is operated by SAIT RTBN students. The RTBN program at SAIT (previously known as CTSR) boasts many graduates who have become prominent radio and television personalities. It is one of Canada's leading Television and Radio programs and admissions to the program are very competitive.
In the 2015 CEOWORLD magazine ranking of the top 50 hospitality and hotel management schools in the world, SAIT School of Hospitality and Tourism, ranked 47 just behind Swiss School of Tourism and Hospitality.
- Robert Alford, politician
- Ken Allred, politician
- Evan Berger, politician
- Curtis Billsten, hockey player
- Kaella Carr, television newsperson
- Ted Godwin, artist and Officer of the Order of Canada
- Jason Hale, politician
- Laureen Harper, spouse of the former Prime Minister of Canada, Stephen Harper
- Doug Horner, politician
- Chris Jamieson, hockey player
- David Joseph, basketball coach and former college player
- Roy Kiyooka, artist and Officer of the Order of Canada
- Greg Kolodziejzyk, cyclist
- Paul Landry, polar explorer
- Aylmer Liesemer, politician
- Colin Low, filmmaker
- Shane Lust, hockey player
- Barry McFarland, politician
- Noah Miller, water polo player and coach
- John Nursall, television and film writer and producer
- Jackson Proskow, television newsperson
- Jeremy St. Louis, television newsperson
- Ron Tarrant, musician and radio person
- J. D. Watt, hockey player
- Len Webber, politician
- Stewart Woodman, restaurateur
- Education in Alberta
- List of universities and colleges in Alberta
- Canadian Interuniversity Sport
- Canadian government scientific research organizations
- Canadian industrial research and development organizations
- Canadian university scientific research organizations
- "Trojans History". Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- "Our New Brand Revealed". 5 April 2016. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- "Alberta's Top Employers". Mediacorp Canada. 1 February 2011. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- "History of SAIT".
- "Centre for Adademic Learner Services".
- "Centre for Instructional Technology and Development".
- "Applied Research and Innovation".
- "Top 50 Hospitality And Hotel Management Schools In The World, 2015". CEOWORLD magazine. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- "SAIT School of Hospitality and Tourism ranked 47th CEOWORLD magazine ranking 2015". CEOWORLD magazine. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Southern Alberta Institute of Technology.|