Southern Appalachia Railway Museum
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
An Alco RS-1.
The museum collects antique locomotives and rolling stock to run on their 7 miles of track from the K-25 facility in Oak Ridge, Tennessee to an interchange with Norfolk Southern at Blair, Tennessee and back. The museum formerly ran an excursion train along this route using their rolling stock. The ride runs over former Southern Railway trackage. The excursion train's name was the Secret City Scenic using Oak Ridge's nickname the "Secret City". The museum does an annual trip and railfan weekend. The excursion train typically ran on the first and third weekend of each month with the exception of special trains. A freight railroad still uses the tracks with the Scenic sometimes using some of the engines. The museum is currently restoring a Southern EMD E8 #6913 among other projects. The museum's ticket office is an old guard station that has been restored.
In 2016 the museum ceased excursion train operations due to liability issues but continues the restoration and preservation missions while seeking out a new home for excursions.
- Seaboard Coast Line Railroad EMD SD45 No. 2024 - currently lettered as Clinchfield Railroad 3632
- Southern 6913 EMD E8
- Wabash B905 ALCO C-424
- U.S.A.E.C. 5310 1951 ALCO RS-1
- U.S. Army 7100 1943 ALCO S-2
- U.S. Army 7125 1943 ALCO S-2
- L&N 1315 ALCO C-420
- Georgia Central 3965 GE U23B
- Central of Georgia coach no. 663 1947 ACF Coach
- Central of Georgia coach no. 664 1947 Budd Coach "Fort Oglethorpe"
- Central of Georgia coach no. 665 1947 Budd Coach "Fort McPherson"
- Southern Railway no. 34 1928 ACF RPO
- Southern Railway no. 543 1942 St.LCC Baggage Car
- Southern Railway no. 2206 1949 Pullman sleeper "Roanoke Valley"
- Southern Railway no. 3164 1926 Pullman dining car (on loan)
- Kansas City Southern no. 3763 1938 ACF Bulkhead Flatcar
- Louisville & Nashville no. 6487 Caboose
- Oneida & Western no. 9990 Caboose (on loan)
- Savannah & Atlanta no. X253 Caboose
- Southern Railway no. X261 1973 Gantt Manuf. Caboose
- Speno no. SRBX-24 Boxcar, former Boston & Maine
- Tennessee Valley Authority Flatcar
- "Rail Museum offers cool rides for summer". The Oak Ridger. June 28, 2007. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- Brass, Larisa (February 21, 2000). "CROET reuse committee approves three leases". The Oak Ridger. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- "Seaboard Coast Line SD45 being restored for museum". Trains. 9 September 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015. (subscription required)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Southern Appalachia Railway Museum.|
- "Southern Appalachia Railway Museum". Retrieved 2009-11-14.
|This Tennessee museum-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|