Southern California University of Health Sciences
|President||John Scaringe, DC|
|Colors||Blue and White |
Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCUHS) is a private university located in Whittier, California specializing in graduate and undergraduate degrees in the health care professions. The school is most well known for its College of Chiropractic and College of Eastern Medicine programs.
Originally a chiropractic school, SCUHS began as Los Angeles College of Chiropractic (LACC) during its founding on October 18, 1911 by Dr. Charles Cale and his wife Linnie Cale. The first graduating class had only three students, and classes were taught in the Cales' private residence. By 1912, the school moved to an Opera House in Los Angeles and had grown to 113 students. In 1922, the Chiropractic Initiative Act of 1922 passed, allowing the state to create a board of chiropractic examiners. This act served as a catalyst for the creation of many other chiropractic institutions in California, most of which LACC would acquire within the next three decades.
In the 1940s, the California Chiropractic Educational Foundation acquired several remaining colleges in California, including LACC. They reorganized the colleges keeping the name Los Angeles College of Chiropractic, and moved the schools location to Glendale, CA in 1950. In 1971 this campus received a $3 million renovation following damage sustained in the 1971 San Fernando earthquake.
In 1981, the college moved to its current location in Whittier, California after purchasing a new 38-acre campus.
During the years 1999 to 2000, LACC added a College of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine and reorganized itself into the Southern California University of Health Sciences to house both programs.
The university's chiropractic program is based on the trimester system and is 10 trimesters long. LACC also offers three post-graduate residency programs in chiropractic: Diagnostic Imaging, Sports Medicine, and Primary Spine care. The Doctor of Chiropractic degree program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of the Council on Chiropractic Education (CCE), and the California Board of Chiropractic Examiners.
SCUHS’s School of Professional Studies(SPS) & Institute of Science(IOS) offer a comprehensive undergraduate science curriculum that leads to a B.S. in Biological Sciences.
The College of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine is a 9 trimester program fully accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM), which is the recognized accrediting agency for the approval acupuncture and oriental medicine programs. It is also approved by the California Acupuncture Board.
In addition to LACC and the College of Eastern Medicine, SCUHS is home to two Ayurvedic certificate programs: a wellness educator program and an Ayurvedic practitioner program. The Ayurvedic practitioner program is supported by the California Association of Ayurvedic Medicine and the National Ayurvedic Medical Association. Currently there are no official licenses in the United States to practice Ayurveda.
As of 2018, the ARC-PA has granted Accreditation – Provisional status to the Master in Science: Physician Assistant program at SCUHS.
SCU is located in the suburb of Whittier, 20 miles southeast of Los Angeles. Whittier borders Orange County.
- "About SCU - SCU".
- "98_04_30~1.PDF" (PDF). Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-05-14. Retrieved 2013-08-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) http://www.chiro.org/Plus/History/Persons/CaleChas/Cale-photos/Cale_&_Family.pdf
- "Board of Chiropractic Examiners". www.allgov.com. Retrieved 23 October 2019.
- "History". SCU. Retrieved 23 October 2019.
- "Chiropractic College Planned in Glendale". The Los Angeles Times. 16 Jul 1971. Retrieved 23 October 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-05-14. Retrieved 2013-08-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Course Schedule - SCU".
- "Residencies - SCU".
- "Members". CCE.
- California, State of. "Board Approved Chiropractic Colleges - Board of Chiropractic Examiners". www.chiro.ca.gov.
- "Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences Los Angeles CA | BS in Biological Sciences". SCU.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2013-08-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- California, State of California Acupuncture Board, Department of Consumer Affairs, State of. "Approved Training Programs - California Acupuncture Board". www.acupuncture.ca.gov.
- "SCUHS Ayurveda". Southern California University of Health Sciences.
- "Ayurveda Schools in California". California Association of Ayurvedic Medicine. Archived from the original on 2011-04-12.
- "NAMA Schools and Programs Listing". National Ayurvedic Medical Association.
- "Page Is No Longer Available". www.umms.org. Archived from the original on 2019-09-28. Retrieved 2019-10-24.
- "Massage Therapy Certificate Program - SCU".