Southern Illinois Salukis baseball
|Southern Illinois Salukis|
|University||Southern Illinois University|
|Head coach||Ken Henderson (5th season)|
|Home stadium||Abe Martin Field
|Colors||Maroon and White
|College World Series runner-up|
|College World Series appearances|
|1968, 1969, 1971, 1974, 1977|
|NCAA Tournament appearances|
|1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1986, 1990|
|Conference tournament champions|
|1977, 1978, 1981, 1990|
|1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1990|
SIU baseball started as a club sport in 1921, lasting until 1924. From 1925 until 1946, the school did not have a baseball program.
In 1947, Abe Martin revived the program as an intercollegiate sport and it has remained ever since, being an elite program in the late 1960s through the 1980s.
SIU in the NCAA tournament
SIU has a proud history in the NCAA Baseball Tournament, held in Omaha since 1950 and at Johnny Rosenblatt Stadium from 1950 through 2010. They have made the College World Series 5 times and finished as the national champion runner-up twice (losing out to the University of Southern California Trojans both times) and as third-place finishers twice.
|1966||0–2||.000||Eliminated by Valparaiso|
|1967||1–2||.333||Eliminated by Western Michigan|
|1968||6–2||.750||Eliminated by USC in championship game
College World Series (2nd place)
|1969||3–2||.600||Eliminated by Ole Miss
College World Series (7th place)
|1970||2–2||.500||Eliminated by Ohio|
|1971||7–3||.700||Eliminated by USC in championship game College World Series (2nd place)|
|1973||2–2||.500||Eliminated by Minnesota|
|1974||7–3||.500||Eliminated by USC in CWS semifinals
College World Series (3rd place)
|1976||0–2||.000||Eliminated by Michigan|
|1977||6–2||.750||Eliminated by Arizona State in CWS Semifinals College World Series (3rd place)|
|1978||2–2||.500||Eliminated by Oral Roberts|
|1981||1–2||.333||Eliminated by Oral Roberts|
|1986||1–2||.333||Eliminated by Texas|
|1990||2–2||.500||Eliminated by San Diego State|
|Ken Henderson||2011-interim-2012-official-Present||31-28 (2015)12-46|
|Dan Callahan||1995 – 2010 (his death)||442–447–1 (as of June 14, 2010)|
|Richard "Itch" Jones||1970–1990||738–345–5|
Notable former players
- Jim Dwyer, Retired Major League Baseball outfielder
- Steve Finley, Retired Major League Baseball center fielder, 5-time Gold Glove winner, 2-time All-Star
- Jason Frasor, Major League Baseball pitcher for the Toronto Blue Jays, Chicago White Socks, Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals
- Joe Hall, Retired Major League Baseball pitcher
- Jerry Hairston, Jr., Major League Baseball second baseman for the San Diego Padres
- Duane Kuiper, Retired Major League Baseball second baseman, announcer, commentator for EA Sports baseball video games
- Al Levine, Former Major League Baseball pitcher currently pitching for the Newark Bears of the independent Atlantic League.
- Dan Radison, current Major League Baseball 1st base coach for the Washington Nationals
- Dave Stieb, Retired Major League Baseball pitcher, 7 Time All-Star, Pitched No-Hitter on September 2, 1990.
- Bill Stein, Retired Major League Baseball infielder
- "Brand Colors | The Brand | SIU". Brand.siu.edu. Retrieved April 4, 2016.
- "History of SIU baseball from 2010 media guide". Retrieved 2010-06-14.
- "Southern Illinois University Baseball Players Who Made it to the Major Leagues". Retrieved 2007-06-23.