Southern Illinois University
|Location||Carbondale, Edwardsville, Springfield, Illinois, United States|
Southern Illinois University is a state university system based in Carbondale, Illinois, United States, in the southern region of the state, with multiple campuses. Randy Dunn is President of Southern Illinois University.
- 1 Southern Illinois University Board of Trustees
- 2 Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- 3 Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- 4 Satellite schools and facilities
- 4.1 Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
- 4.2 Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine
- 4.3 Southern Illinois Edwardsville School of Nursing
- 4.4 East St. Louis Center
- 4.5 University Center of Lake County
- 4.6 Center for Workforce Development
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Southern Illinois University Board of Trustees
The university is governed by the nine member SIU Board of Trustees. Seven members are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the state senate. Two members are elected by the student bodies of the Carbondale and Edwardsville campuses.
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Founded in Carbondale in 1869 as Southern Illinois Normal College, Southern Illinois University Carbondale (SIUC, usually referred to as SIU) is the flagship campus of the Southern Illinois University system and is the fourth oldest of Illinois's thirteen state universities.
SIUC includes eight colleges and three schools: the Graduate School and the School of Law in Carbondale, and the School of Medicine in Carbondale and Springfield (see below). Considered to be a "National Research University", SIUC offers Associate, Baccalaureate, Post-Baccalaureate, Masters, and Doctoral degrees in 222 academic programs.
In the fall of 2013, SIUC had 13,306 undergraduates, 4,613 graduate students, and was the alma mater of over 216,500 living alumni.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) is the St. Louis Metro East campus of the SIU system. The main campus in Edwardsville is situated on 2,660 acres (1,080 ha) of scenic woodland and lakes with bicycle and walking paths throughout. SIUE also operates the School of Dental Medicine campus in Alton, the East St. Louis Center, and the School of Nursing's satellite campus in Springfield. Begun as residential centers of SIUC in 1957, SIUE celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2007. Once known as a "commuter school", SIUE has in recent years transformed itself into a residential university.
SIUE includes the College of Arts and Sciences and seven schools, including the Graduate School and the new but highly regarded School of Pharmacy on the Edwardsville campus and the School of Dental Medicine in Alton.
The SIUE center in East St. Louis provides clinical and practicum experiences for SIUE students and a broad range of assistance to the community in the arts, education, health, and social services.
Considered to be a "Comprehensive Regional Masters' University", SIUE offers Baccalaureate, Post-Baccalaureate, Masters, and Doctoral degrees in 141 academic programs. SIUE is especially known and respected (highly rated in USNEWS) for its Senior Assessment Program.
In the fall of 2014, SIUE had 11,421 undergraduates, 2,030 graduate students, 521 doctoral students, and 93,719 living alumni.
Satellite schools and facilities
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
The Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (SIU-SOM) is a part of SIUC that operates its first-year program in Carbondale and the final three years in Springfield. The SIU-SOM also offers a wide range of medical residency programs including; Dermatology, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Medicine/Psychiatry, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Otolaryngology, Pediatrics, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Psychiatry, Radiology, and Urology.
Simmons Cancer Institute
The Simmons Cancer Institute is a medical education, biomedical research, patient care, and community service facility in Springfield operated by the SIU-SOM.
SIU Healthcare Clinics
Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine
The Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine (SIU-SDM or SDM) is a part of SIUE and is located in Alton on the campus of the former Shurtleff College. The school opened in 1972 and enrolls about 200 dental students. The school also operates the East St. Louis Dental Clinic at SIUE's East St. Louis Center.
Southern Illinois Edwardsville School of Nursing
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville School of Nursing not only has academic programs on the Edwardsville campus, but it operates a cooperative program with SIUC in Carbondale, and it has a small campus in Springfield which offers graduate level courses nearby the SIU School of Medicine. The school also operates the Community Nursing Services office at SIUE's East St. Louis Center.
East St. Louis Center
The SIUE East St. Louis Center offers services and training to more than 6,000 people annually. Programs include the SIUE East St. Louis Charter High School, a Head Start Program, a Latchkey Program providing families with after-school care for children ages 6 to 12, the SIUE East St. Louis Center Performing Arts Program, the Community Nursing Services office of the SIUE School of Nursing, the East St. Louis Dental Clinic of the SIUE School of Dental Medicine, an eye care clinic, and the East St. Louis Community College Center.
University Center of Lake County
SIUC and SIUE are among the twenty colleges and universities offering classes for degree completion and continuing education through the University Center of Lake County in Grayslake and Waukegan.
Center for Workforce Development
The SIUC Center for Workforce Development in Springfield is operated by the Workforce Education and Development Department of the College of Education and Human Services at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Programs include Illinois workNet, providing adults and youth with disabilities the resources to help them reach educational and employment goals; the Website Development Project, working with the Illinois Department of Employment Security to redesign the agency's website to provide improved access to the department's services by individuals, businesses, and the departmental staff; Illinois Pathways, a STEM education improvement program supported by six other State of Illinois agencies; and the SIUC Workforce Education and Development program's Off Campus Undergraduate Program on the campus of Lincoln Land Community College, which provides a one-year degree completion program for students who have already received an Associate Arts or Associate of Science degrees from Illinois community colleges.
- "SIU Board of Trustees". Bot.siu.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "Fact Book – 2015 Edition" (PDF). SIU Edwardsville. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- "SIU School of Medicine". Board of Trustees, Southern Illinois University. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "Simmons Cancer Institute at SIU". Board of Trustees, Southern Illinois University. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "Decatur Family Medicine". Board of Trustees, Southern Illinois University. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "Quincy Family Medicine". Board of Trustees, Southern Illinois University. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "SIU School of Dental Medicine - Home". SIUE. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- "SIUE School of Nursing - Home Page". Siue.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "East St. Louis Center". SIUE. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "University Center of Lake County". University Center of Lake County. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "Center for Workforce Development". SIU Board of Trustees. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- Southern Illinois University Board of Trustees
- Southern Illinois University System
- Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
- Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville
- Southern Illinois University - School of Medicine