Southern Moreton Bay Islands, Queensland
|Southern Moreton Bay Islands|
Gold Coast, Queensland
|Population||0 (2016 census)|
|• Density||0.000/km2 (0.000/sq mi)|
|Area||83.9 km2 (32.4 sq mi)|
|Time zone||AEST (UTC+10:00)|
|Location||20 km (12 mi) from Surfers Paradise|
|LGA(s)||City of Gold Coast (Division 12)|
The locality consists of numerous very low-lying estuarine islands separated by channels in the southern part of Moreton Bay. The islands are mostly covered by mangroves, and a substantial part of the area is inundated by water at high tide.
Islands within the Southern Moreton Bay Islands:
- Cobby Cobby Island
- Coomera Island
- Crusoe Island
- Eden Island
- Kangaroo Island (Boonnahbah)
- Mosquito Islands
- Short Island
- Brocks Island
- Rat Island
- Tabby Tabby Island
- Woogoompah Island
- Canaipa Passage
- Cobby Passage
- Coomera River (North Branch)
- Coomera River (South Branch)
- Jewel Creek
- Main Channel
- The Broadwater
- Tiger Mullet Channel
- Pimpama River
- Whalleys Gutter
Additional protection for fish habitat is provided by the Jumpinpin-Broadwater Fish Habitat Area declared on 19 November 1983. The habitat of sea grass meadows and shallow estuarine areas are protected for a variety of sea life.
Southern Moreton Bay Islands was gazetted as a bounded locality on 7 Feb 2003.
- Southern Moreton Bay Islands National Park
- Southern Moreton Bay Islands (Redland City), the adjacent area in Redland City consisting of several island suburbs.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Southern Moreton Bay Islands (SSC)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- Southern Moreton Bay Islands Postcode Australia Post
- "Southern Moreton Bay Islands – locality in City of Gold Coast (entry 46085)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 29 November 2019.
- Beacon to Beacon Directory (8 ed.). Brisbane QLD: Maritime Safety Queensland. August 2008. ISBN 0-646-46178-8.
- Queensland Wetlands Program (2014). "Jumpinpin-Broadwater fish habitat area". Department of Environment and Heritage Protection. Queensland Government. Retrieved 11 July 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Southern Moreton Bay Islands(State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 12 July 2014.