Southern Naval Command
|Southern Naval Command|
|Flag Officer Commanding in Chief||Vice Admiral AR Karve|
|Chief of Staff||Rear Admiral Ravindra Jayanti Nadkarni, VSM|
The Southern Naval Command (Malayalam: ദക്ഷിണ നാവികസേന ആസ്ഥാനം, Hindi:दक्षिणी नौसेना कमान) is one of the three main formations of the Indian Navy. It has its Headquarters in Kochi, Kerala at INS Venduruthy, and is commanded by the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief. The Present FOC-in-C is Vice Admiral Girish Luthra.
The Southern Naval Command consists of Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST), a training squadron, training establishments and bases, and land forces and survey ships. It has a naval air station, and a ship repair yard.
The Southern Naval Command is the Training Command of Indian Navy and is responsible for the training of all its personnel, both officers as well as sailors, from basic to advance stages. It has subsidiary units from Jamnagar in Gujarat to Lonavala in Maharashtra, Goa and in Orissa but the majority of training units are in Kochi.
The Southern Naval Command is organized as follows:
|Flag Officer Commanding in Chief||Vice Admiral AR Karve, AVSM|
|Chief Of Staff||Rear Admiral Ravindra Jayanti Nadkarni, VSM|
|Commandant, Indian Naval Academy||Vice Admiral SV Bhokare|||
|Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST)||Rear Admiral S K Grewal|||
|Admiral Superintendent Yards (ASY) - Kochi||Rear Admiral K Ravikiran|||
|Naval Officer In-Charge (NOIC) - Kerala||Captain Varghese Mathew|||
|Naval Officer In-Charge (NOIC) - Lakshadweep|
Naval bases under Southern Naval Command are the following
|INS Dweeprakshak||Kavaratti||Lakshwadweep||Logistics and Maintenance support|
|INS Minicoy||Minicoy||Forward Operating Base|
|INS Androth (Under construction)||Androth||Forward Operating Base and Radar station|
|INS Garuda||Kochi||Kerala||Naval Air Station|
|INHS Sanjivani||Naval Hospital|
|INS Venduruthy||Logistics and Administrative support|
|INS Dronacharya||Naval Weapons Training|
|INS Chilka||Chilka||Orissa||Naval Training|
|INHS Nivrani||Naval Hospital|
|INS Mandovi||Panaji||Goa||Naval Training|
|INS Hamla||Mumbai||Maharashtra||Combined Operations Training|
|INS Shivaji||Lonavala||Technical Training|
|INHS Kasturi||Naval Hospital|
|INS Valsura||Jamnagar||Gujarat||Electric Equipment Training|
|INS Rajali||Arakkonam||Tamil Nadu||Naval Air Base|
|INS Agrani||Coimbatore||Leadership Training|
|INS Zamorin||Ezhimala||Kerala||Logistics and Maintenance support to Indian Naval Academy|
|INS Satavahana||Visakhapatnam||Andhra Pradesh||Submarine Warfare Training|
- "New Chief of Staff for Southern Naval Command". Indian Navy. 14 October 2016.
- "Vice Admiral Girish Luthra Takes Charge of Southern Naval Command". The New Indian Express. 31 January 2016. Retrieved 8 February 2016.
- "Organisation of Southern Naval Command, Kochi". Indian Navy.
- "Organisation: Hierarchical Setup". Indian Navy. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Rear Admiral B Dasgupta Assumes Command as Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet". Defence Aviation Post. 2016-10-15. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Rear Admiral SK Grewal Assumes Charge as Flag Officer Sea Training". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Navy to set up watermanship training centre in Kochi". The Hindu. 2014-01-11. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Preparedness of coastal security mechanism along Kerala reviewed". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Organisation of Southern Naval Command, Kochi". Indian Navy. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Southern Naval command chief reviews security in Lakshadweep". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
|This military article about the Indian Armed Forces is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|