Southern Ohio Medical Center
|Southern Ohio Medical Center|
The main campus of Southern Ohio Medical Center, located in Portsmouth, Ohio.
|Location||1805 27th Street, Portsmouth, Ohio, United States of America|
|Other links||Hospitals in Ohio|
Southern Ohio Medical Center (or SOMC) is a 222-bed 501(C)(3)for-profit hospital in Portsmouth, Ohio, providing emergency and surgical care, as well as a wide range of other health care services. SOMC employs 2,600 full-time employees and part-time employees, has a medical staff of more than 140 physicians and specialists, and is supported by approximately 800 regular volunteers.
- 1 Programs and services
- 2 Centers of care
- 3 References
Programs and services
SOMC offers inpatient and outpatient programs and services, delivered through the work of more than 2,600 employees and a staff of more than 140 board-certified or board-eligible physicians and specialists. Services offered at SOMC include:
- Anticoagulation Clinic
- Diabetes Education
- Dietary Services
- Emergency Department Care
- Home Health Services
- Laboratory Services
- Maternity Services
- Medical Education
- Pastoral Care
- Pediatric Services
- Senior Behavioral Medicine Care
- Sleep Diagnostic Services
- Speech and Hearing Services
- Surgical Services
Centers of care
SOMC Cancer Center
Services offered at the SOMC Cancer Center include:
- Medical Oncology, which involves treatment of cancer with chemicals, biological products and immunotherapy
- Radiation Oncology, or the careful use of high-energy radiation to treat cancer The goal of radiation therapy is to deliver a precisely measured dose to the cancerous tumor, while protecting normal tissue around the tumor
- Hematology, or the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the blood and blood forming organs
- Genetic Testing, a type of medical test that identifies changes in chromosomes, genes, or proteins. Most of the time, testing is used to find changes that are associated with inherited disorders
- Clinical Trials, studies that evaluate the effectiveness of new drugs and strategies
In addition to providing cancer care, SOMC also holds annual breast cancer awareness events (referred to as “pink outs” or by the name “Paint It Pink”) to coincide with October’s designation as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The events have received positive community feedback and helped raise money for the SOMC Breast Cancer Compassion Fund. The Breast Cancer Compassion Fund provides money to help support breast cancer patients with expenses such as utilities, medications, transportation and common necessities needed during cancer care.
SOMC has also worked to raise breast cancer awareness by creating a “Pink Glove Dance” YouTube video featuring local residents and hospital employees.
Heart and vascular
The SOMC Heart Care Unit is a 12-bed unit responsible for the care of adult cardiac patients and patients recovering from open heart surgery. SOMC utilizes a Universal Bed Model, in which the patient’s room essentially changes throughout the open-heart procedure, starting as an intensive care recovery room on arrival from surgery and transitioning to a home-like environment with family space and amenities. Heart and Vascular services provided at SOMC include:
SOMC Hospice] offers a variety of services, including:
- Pain and symptom management
- Home health aide/homemaker services
- Spiritual care
- Medical social services
- Short-term inpatient care
- Bereavement support
SOMC LIFE Center
In its first year, SOMC’s ‘Tri For Your LIFE’ triathlon featured more than 100 competitors.
Wound Healing Center
The SOMC Wound Healing Center treats diabetic ulcers, lower leg ulcers, press ulcers, bone infection, gangrene, skin tears or lacerations, radiation burns, post-operation wounds and infections and failed or compromised skin grafts. Services offered include:
- Hyberbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Wound Debridement, a minor surgical procedure enhances the growth of healthy tissues in the wound
- Transcutaneous Oxygen Monitoring, a test that records the level of oxygen available to your wound
- Doppler Evaluation of Pulses, a technique that measures the blood flow available to bring nutrients and medications to the wound
SOMC urgent care
SOMC has three urgent care facilities, located in Portsmouth, Wheelersburg and Waverly. At each of the facilities, staff put an emphasis on having patients treated and discharged within 60 minutes of their arrival.
In 2008, Southern Ohio Medical Center became the first hospital in the tri-state region (Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia) to earn Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Magnet Recognition Program recognizes healthcare organizations for quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovations in professional nursing practice. In 2011, less than 7% of hospitals in the United States were able to achieve Magnet Recognition.
SOMC earned Magnet re-designation in 2013. 
FORTUNE, Modern Healthcare and Press Ganey awards
In 2013, it came in 29th on the list with FORTUNE noting: “Employees are proud to work for a medical provider that has won numerous awards for patient care, a fact that's reflected in its average tenure. Nearly 20% of the staff has worked there for more than 20 years.” 
SOMC was recognized on the FORTUNE list again in 2014 (coming in 18th) and 2015 (coming in 44th). In the 2015 survey, 93% of SOMC employees described their workplace as "a great place to work."
In 2012, Southern Ohio Medical Center was one of only 13 Press Ganey clients in the nation to be chosen as a Distinctive Workplace Award winner. The award was given to organizations that reached, and sustained, the 95th percentile in employee satisfaction – SOMC was at the 99th percentile.
VPP star designation, OHA top 20 percent
Southern Ohio Medical Center has also received VPP Star Designation, an award distributed by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) to hospitals that meet high safety standards. By earning VPP star status, SOMC was recognized as being in the top one percent of hospitals in America for safety excellence leadership.
SOMC also received the Ohio Hospital Association’s Top 20 Percent Award for being one of the safest healthcare facilities in the state of Ohio.
- "About SOMC".
- "Programs and Services".
- "The SOMC Cancer Center".
- Kephas, Eric. "'Pink Out' and clean up sent the right message". Portsmouth Daily Times.
- Allen, Wayne. "'Pink Out' raises $25,000 to fight cancer". Portsmouth Daily Times.
- "Patient Compassion Funds".
- Williams, Portia. "Pink Zumbathon dances through Tracy Park". Portsmouth Daily Times.
- Williams, Portia. "Paint It Pink campaign hosts first 5K Run/Walk". Portsmouth Daily Times.
- "SOMC Pink Glove Dance".
- "Heart Care Unit".
- "The SOMC LIFE Center".
- "SOMC to host ‘Tri For Your LIFE’ sprint triathlon on August 12".
- "SOMC hosts 32nd annual 'Run For Your LIFE' event on Sept 5". Ironton Tribune.
- "SOMC Triathlon brings 100 competitors".
- "Wound Center Services and Treatments".
- "Urgent Care Services".
- "SOMC puts new emphasis on urgent care speed". Chillicothe Gazette.
- "SOMC Recognized as a Magnet Hospital".
- "ANCC Magnet Recognition Program".
- "History of the Magnet Program".
- Lewis, Frank. "SOMC receives highest nursing honor". Portsmouth Daily Times.
- "SOMC makes sixth straight appearance on FORTUNE’s 100 Best Companies to Work For list".
- "Southern Ohio Medical Center – Best Companies to Work For 2013".
- Allen, Wayne. "SOMC named among best places to work". Portsmouth Daily Times.
- Allen, Wayne. "SOMC wins distinctive workplace award". Portsmouth Daily Times.
- Allen, T.W. "SOMC earns VPP status". Portsmouth Daily Times.
- "SOMC receives OHA’s Top 20 Percent Award". Portsmouth Daily Times.
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|