Southern Reach Trilogy
|Genre||Fantasy, Horror, Science fiction|
|Media type||Print (hardcover, paperback)
|No. of books||3|
Southern Reach is the name of Jeff VanderMeer's 2014 trilogy of novels, starting with Annihilation. It is the name of the agency that is central to the series. Annihilation was released in February 2014, Authority was released in May 2014 and Acceptance was released in September 2014. In 2013, it was announced that Paramount Pictures bought the movie rights for the series, with the film adaptation of Annihilation proceeding with writer-director Alex Garland.
In the series, Southern Reach is a secret agency that manages expeditions into an area known as Area X. Area X is an uninhabited and abandoned area that nature has begun to reclaim. It is the main setting for the first book of the trilogy, Annihilation.
Jeff VanderMeer has said that the main inspiration for Area X was the hike through St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge. However, he's also said that dreams inspired such elements as the writing in the tunnel from Annihilation. Moreover, Jeff has cited a number of books as having an influence on Southern Reach such as The Other Side of the Mountain by Michel Bernanos.
- Bosman, Julie (10 February 2014). "Impatience Has Its Reward: Books Are Rolled Out Faster". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Newitz, Annalee (28 March 2013). "Jeff VanderMeer gets movie deal for his forthcoming Southern Reach trilogy". Io9.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- McNary, Dave (31 October 2014). "‘Annihilation’ Movie Gains Momentum at Paramount with Alex Garland". Variety. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- Spiegelman, Ian (28 February 2014). "Jeff VanderMeer: 'Power of Nature' Inspired New Sci-Fi Novel 'Annihilation'". USA Today. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- Schardl, Kati. "Exploring ‘Area X’: Local author has hit with book series based on St. Marks Wildlife Refuge". Tallahassee Democrat. Gannett. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- Michel, Lincoln. "An Interview With Jeff VanderMeer: "Full Disclosure, I’m Really A Komodo Dragon"". Buzzfeed. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- Join the Southern Reach
- Southern Reach Trilogy series listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- VanderMeer, Jeff. The Nature Of Reading: 10 Influences On The Southern Reach Trilogy, Huffington Post, 27 July 2014.