Southern Shorthaul Railroad
|Predecessor||Great Northern Rail Services|
Number of locations
|New South Wales
|Subsidiaries||Consolidated Rail Leasing|
Current rail operations involve providing RailCorp with hook & pull services for infrastructure trains operating out of Chullora and Clyde in Sydney. These trains generally operate in the areas bounded by Grafton, Muswellbrook, Bathurst, Goulburn and Bomaderry. In August 2011 SSR operated some infrastructure trains in Victoria.
The company also refurbishes and repairs locomotives and rolling stock at the former Bendigo Workshops in Victoria. It also has a maintenance facility at the Lithgow State Mine Heritage Park & Railway.
In April 2016, Southern Shorthaul Railroad brought the majority of the Greentrains, enabling SSR to no longer have to hire motive power such as the VL class locomotives and to expand its operations.
As at July 2016, SSR owned the following locomotives:
- 442 class: 442s1, 442s2, 442s5, 442s6, 44204, 44206
- 45 class: 45s1
- 48 class: 48s28, 48s33, 48s34, 48s35, 48s36 (33, 34 & 36 are on lease to John Holland Rail having been repainted in its white & red livery)
- 49 class: 4904, 4908, 4910, 4917
- 600 class: 602, 603
- 80 class: 8049
- 830 class: 869
- B class: B61, B65, B75
- C class: C504, C505, C506, C507, C509, C510
- G class: G513, G514
- GM class: GM3, GM10, GM12, GM22, GM27
- RL class: RL301, RL302, RL304, RL305, RL306, RL307
- S class: S302, S317
- SSR class: SSR101, SSR102
- T class: T363, T381, T385, T386
and the following rail tractors: LT4, LT50, RT37.
- 42 class: 4204
- 47 class: 4701, 4702, 4708, 4716
- C class: C502, C503, C508
- CM class: CM3302, CM3303, CM3306
- G class: G511
- VL class: VL353, VL354, VL355, VL356, VL357, VL361
- CEY class: CEY001 to CEY007 – Used on Centennial Coal train services between Kooragang Island and the Western Coalfields or occasionally, the Illawarra coalfields.
- FIE class: FIE001 to FIE003 – Used on the Fletcher's International Exports container train service between Dubbo and Port Botany after taking over Qube Logistics' operation of this train in January 2015 and using Fletcher's three new FIE Class locomotives as the revised motive power for the service.
- Infrastructure Train Operations Southern Shorthaul Railroad
- Coal Train Operations Southern Shorthaul Railroad
- Victorian Grant puts Rail Business on a New Track, Department of Premier and Cabinet Media Release, 4 October 2007
- Press Release State Mine Railway
- Workshop Services Southern Shorthaul Railroad
- "Consolidated Rail Leasing Pty Ltd". Australian Securities and Investments Commission. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "SSR brings competition to NSW grain rail haulage" Railway Digest June 2014 page 11
- Disposal of Greentrains rollingstock Engenco 28 April 2016
- "Greentrans rollingstock sold to Holdco Holdings" Railway Digest June 2016 page 6
- Locomotives Southern Shorthaul Railroad
- Southern Shorthaul Railroad Fleet Vicsig.net
- "Australia Wide Fleet List" Motive Power issue 96 November 2014 pages 66 & 72
- Australia's largest rail contractor launches new work trains business John Holland 28 January 2014
- "Motive Power Roundup" Motive Power issue 91 January 2014 page 108