Southern Shorthaul Railroad
SSR 10 Years in business celebratory logo
|Predecessor||Great Northern Rail Services|
|New South Wales|
|Services||Rail Freight Services |
|Subsidiaries||Consolidated Rail Leasing|
Southern Shorthaul Railroad is an Australian rail freight services operator in New South Wales and Victoria. They also provide workshop services such as rolling stock manufacturing and wagon and locomotive maintenance.
Current rail operations include grain haulage for Arrow Commodities, Emerald Grain, Newcastle AGRI Terminal, Allied Mills and George Weston Foods in NSW and Victoria, intermodal operations for Fletchers International Exports and Grainforce in NSW, coal services for Centennial Coal in NSW, infrastructure trains for RailCorp in NSW, locomotive and wagon maintenance services for Pacific National and V/Line in Victoria, EMU deliveries for Metro Trains Melbourne and various transfer workings in NSW and Victoria.
In 2010 SSR entered the coal haulage market. Operating on behalf of Centennial Coal, it operates trains from the NSW Western Coalfields (Airly, Clarence, Charbon and Lidsdale collieries) and Newstan Colliery to ports at Kooragang Island, Carrington and Port Kembla. In 2018 the company began Hunter Valley operations, using 3 CEY class and 90 PHTH hoppers.
The company also refurbishes and repairs locomotives and rolling stock at the former Bendigo Workshops in Victoria. It also has a maintenance facility at the Lithgow State Mine Heritage Park & Railway.
In 2013 SSR celebrated 10 years in business, created a special logo, and painted the then-new SSR class in a different variation of the standard yellow and black livery. In December 2013 SSR began operating a container service from Kelso to Port Botany. This train primarily carries containerised grain and has considerably grown in size since it first started running.
2016 was a year of rapid expansion for SSR, when they brought the Greentrains locomotive fleet  (excluding 8026 and T383 which Greentrains retained), enabling SSR to no longer hire motive power such as the VL class locomotives and to expand its operations. SSR also purchased 180 coal wagons previously used on the Leigh Creek coal train after it ceased running. SSR have since converted these into grain wagons by modifying the bottom discharge doors and fitting fibreglass lids, and have formed 3 grain trains ranging from 50 to 60 wagons from this fleet.
In 2017, SSR continued to expand when they won the contract to perform maintenance on Pacific National broad gauge locomotives in Victoria. This requires them to operate light engine transfers between Bendigo and South Dynon. They have also began delivering new Metro X'Trapolis EMUs from Alstom's Ballarat North Workshops to Metro's Epping Workshops. They also perform maintenance and overhauls on some of V/Line's locomotives and passenger rollingstock at the Bendigo workshops. The company won the Allied Mills contract off Pacific National. This sees them servicing Allied Mills facilities in Maldon, New South Wales and Kensington, Victoria. Due to the Kensington facility being located on the broad gauge network, locomotives S302 and S317, 10 BGKF and 9 BGGX wagons were converted to broad gauge, and new standard gauge wagons were purchased to service the NSW facility. Victorian grain operations were further ramped up when they won a contract with Emerald Grain to provide grain services from Southern NSW and Western Victoria for export through Appleton Dock.
In 2018, SSR commenced operating monster 100+ wagon Grain trains into South Australia & Victoria to assist in the aid of the drought in New South Wales, SA operations commenced in June and Victoria's trains commenced in September. These operations have utilised x5 C classes commonly, however the SSR, BRM, RL, G, 49 and 45 class locomotives have been used, these operations have continued into 2019.
As at June 2018, SSR owned and operated the following locomotives:
|442 class||Diesel-electric||Standard||6||442s1, 442s2, 442s5, 442s6, 44204, 44206|
|45 class||Diesel-electric||Standard||1||4532 (Renumbered 2019)|
|48 class||Diesel-electric||Standard||5||48s28, 48s33, 48s34, 48s35, 48s36||Used by John Holland for Country Rail Network maintenance trains|
|49 class||Diesel-electric||Standard||5||4904, 4908, 4910, 4911, 4917|
|600 class||Diesel-electric||Standard||2||602, 603|
|B class||Diesel-electric||Standard - B61
Broad - B65, B75
|3||B61, B65, B75||B65 stored at the SSR Shops in North Bendigo|
|BRM class||Diesel-electric||Standard||2||BRM001, BRM002|
|C class||Diesel-electric||Standard||6||C504, C505, C506, C507, C509, C510|
|G class||Diesel-electric||Standard||2||G513, G514|
|CL Class||Diesel-electric||Standard||4||CLF1, CLF3, CLP9, CLP12|
|GM class||Diesel-electric||Standard||5||GM3, GM10, GM12, GM22, GM27|
|P class||Diesel-electric||Broad||5||P11, P14, P15, P17, P18|
|RL class||Diesel-electric||Standard||6||RL301, RL302, RL304, RL305, RL306, RL307|
|S class||Diesel-electric||3||S302, S312, S317||S312 recently re-activated to operate mainline services.|
|SSR class||Diesel-electric||Standard||2||SSR101, SSR102|
|T class||Diesel-electric||Broad||4||T363, T381, T385, T386|
|rail tractors||Diesel-electric||Broad||14||LT4, LT50, RT37.|
- 42 class: 4204
- 47 class: 4701, 4702, 4708, 4716
- C class: C502, C503, C508
- CM class: CM3302, CM3303, CM3306
- G class: G511
- VL class: VL353, VL354, VL355, VL356, VL357, VL361
As of May 2018, SSR operated the following locomotives not on behalf of other owners:
- CEY class: CEY001 to CEY007 – Used on Centennial Coal services between Kooragang Island and the Western Coalfields or occasionally, the Illawarra coalfields.
- FIE class: FIE001 to FIE003 – Used on the Fletcher's International Exports container train service between Dubbo and Port Botany after taking over Qube Logistics' operation of this train in January 2015 and using Fletcher's three new FIE Class locomotives as the revised motive power for the service.
- 1200 class: From August 2017, 1201 and 1202 were leased from National Railway Equipment Company on an as needed basis, commonly used on branch lines where heavier mainline units cannot go.
- Seymour Railway Heritage Centre locomotive T357 sees intermittent use when additional broad gauge power is required.
- Coal Train Operations Southern Shorthaul Railroad
- Victorian Grant puts Rail Business on a New Track, Department of Premier and Cabinet Media Release, 4 October 2007
- Press Release State Mine Railway
- Workshop Services Archived 10 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine Southern Shorthaul Railroad
- "Consolidated Rail Leasing Pty Ltd". Australian Securities and Investments Commission. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "SSR brings competition to NSW grain rail haulage" Railway Digest June 2014 page 11
- Disposal of Greentrains rollingstock Engenco 28 April 2016
- "Greentrans rollingstock sold to Holdco Holdings" Railway Digest June 2016 page 6
- Locomotives Southern Shorthaul Railroad
- Shorthaul Railroad Fleet Vicsig.net
- "Australia Wide Fleet List" Motive Power issue 96 November 2014 pages 66 & 72