Southern University College
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||Self-Renewal, Virtue, Nature
|President||Dr. Thock Kiah Wah|
|Location||Skudai, Johor, Malaysia|
|Colours||Blue and Red|
Southern University College (Southern UC; Malay: Kolej Universiti Selatan) is the first non-profit higher education institute and private university college in Skudai, Johor Bahru District, Johor, Malaysia. It was previously known as Southern College, established in 1990.
The establishment of the Southern UC was to provide an educational channel at home for high school graduates when they were unable to further studies in foreign countries. Foon Yew Advanced Studies Programme was setting up in 1975, where later on the Foon Yew Board of Directors made application to the Ministry of Education for setting up Foon Yew College on the foundation of this programme. With the persistence and efforts of the Chinese community, Southern College was finally approved by the Ministry of Education and established in 1990. Through twenty-two years of management and efforts, the Ministry of Higher Education has finally approved Southern College to upgrade to Southern University College on 19 June 2012.
Southern University College is located at Skudai area, Johor Bahru Malaysia, which is within the Iskandar Malaysia Economic Zone. The campus is about 25 acres, donated by the philanthropist Mr. Seow Wan Heong. Following the development of Iskandar Malaysia Economic Zone, Southern UC will be one of the important educational institutes of Malaysia, and slowly develop as an international educational institute.
Faculties and departments
- Faculty of Business & Management
- Faculty of Engineering & Information Technology
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Electrical & Electronic
- Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Department of Chinese Studies
- Department of English
- Department of Malay
- Department of Journalism and Communication Studies
- Faculty of Art & Design
- Faculty of Chinese Medicine
- School of Foundation & Studies
- School of Tourism Hospitality
- School of Professional and Continuing Education (SPACE)
- Southern Traditional Chinese Medical Centre
- Centre for Innovation in Teaching & Learning
- Modern Language Centre
- General Studies Centre
Rankings and awards
Southern University College was awarded 4-star (Very good) rating for the overall college-based category in MyQUEST 2010/2011.