Southfield High School
|Southfield High School for the Arts and Technology|
24675 Lahser Road
|School district||Southfield Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Blue, red and White|
|Website||Southfield High School|
Southfield High School for the Arts and Technology, commonly known as Southfield A&T (SAT) is a senior high school located in Southfield, Michigan. Southfield high was founded in 1951, Southfield High was the oldest of two high schools in the district operated by Southfield Public Schools. The other high school in the district is the University High School Academy, a program which is located at the former Southfield-Lathrup High School was at until the recently closed down in 2016, and merged with Southfield High School, and became the new "Southfield High School of the Arts and Technology" founded in 2016
By the mid to late 1960s, Southfield High School (SHS) was fed by four junior high schools, Birney, Lederle, Levey, and Thompson. In the fall of 1967, students from Birney began to be sent to the newly opened Southfield-Lathrup High School, leaving SHS with the other three.
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Advanced placement options
Southfield High offers Advanced Placement (AP) courses in several different subjects including:
- United States History
- United States Government & Politics
- English Language and Composition
- English Literature and Composition
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Robert Shiller (c/o 1963), Nobel Prize Winner in Economics in 2013 and New York Times columnist who started his writing career with his high school newspaper.
- Ted Simmons, Major League Baseball player, St. Louis Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers. The athletic field (baseball diamond) of Southfield High School is dedicated to Ted.
- Andrew Bowler (c/o 1991), Academy Award nominated writer/director
- Bill Adler (c/o 1969), writer and hip-hop activist.
- Rick Titsworth aka Rick Worthy (c/o 1985), television actor
- Torin Dorn (c/o 1986), football player for North Carolina at cornerback, National Football League Draft, selected by the Los Angeles Raiders in the 4th round
- Kathy Kosins, singer and artist
- Kevin Lee, professional MMA fighter, current UFC Lightweight contender
- Debbie Schlussel (c/o 1986), attorney and political commentator.
- Gabriel Watson (c/o 2002), football player, Michigan DT, NFL Draft, selected by the Arizona Cardinals in the 4th round
- Ira Newble (c/o 1993), forward for the National Basketball Association Los Angeles Lakers
- Karriem Riggins, jazz drummer and former member of the Ray Brown Trio
- Spencer Overton (c/o 1986), law professor, voting rights expert, and author
- Bobby Scales, current MLB player (Chicago Cubs)
- Blade Icewood, born Darnell Lindsay
- Jay Sebring, born Thomas John Kummer (c/o 1951), celebrity hair stylist and Manson Family murder victim in 1969
- Malik McDowell, NFL defensive tackle for the Seattle Seahawks