Southgate LRT Station
Southgate Station is an LRT station on the Capital Line in Edmonton, Alberta. It is a ground-level station located next to the Southgate Centre shopping mall and the Southgate Transit Centre at 51 Avenue and 111 Street.
The station was officially opened on April 24, 2010, with regular service commencing on April 25, 2010.
Southgate Station is located between South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park Station and Century Park Station. It provides an important transit connection between southwest Edmonton neighbourhoods, the University of Alberta and downtown Edmonton.
The station has a 123 metre long centre loading platform that can accommodate two trains at the same time, one on each side of the platform. The platform is exactly nine metres wide. It also has a grade separated pedestrian overpass connecting the station to Southgate Centre and the Southgate Transit Centre to the east and the Malmo Plains neighbourhood to the west.
The transit centre features two twenty-foot brick boots, titled "Immense Mode", a public art piece by Dawn Detarando and Bryan McArthur.
Around the station
- Empire Park
- Harry Ainlay Composite High School
- Lendrum Place
- Malmo Plains
- Southgate Centre
Southgate Transit Centre
|Platforms||18 bus bays|
|Website||Southgate Transit Centre|
The Southgate Transit Centre is located on the east side of 111 Street, adjacent to the LRT Station. It is connected to the station by an elevator-equipped pedestrian overpass which also crosses to the west side of 111 Street and the Malmo Plains neighbourhood.
The following bus routes serve the transit centre:
|Capilano Transit Centre||80|
|Century Park Transit Centre||17, 41, 42, 45, 301|
|Eaux Claires Transit Centre||9|
|Leger Transit Centre||31, 34, 38, 336|
|Meadows Transit Centre||33|
|Mill Woods Transit Centre||6, 73, 74|
|Snow Valley Ski Club||599|
|South Campus/Fort Edmonton Transit Centre||32, 50, 53, 55|
|University of Alberta||599|
|West Edmonton Mall Transit Centre||33|
- "2015 LRT Passenger Count Report" (PDF). Edmonton Transit System. April 2016. Retrieved March 5, 2017.
- "Edmonton Opens Two New LRT Stations". City of Edmonton. April 24, 2010. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- City of Edmonton (July 2011). "LRT Design Guidelines 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. p. 700. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "Immense Mode". City of Edmonton Public Art Collection. Edmonton Arts Council. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- "ETS Transit Centre Map - Southgate" (PDF). Edmonton Transit Service. September 1, 2013. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
Media related to Southgate LRT Station and Southgate Transit Centre at Wikimedia Commons