Southington High School
|Southington High School|
|720 Pleasant Street
|Type||Public High School|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
Southington High School offers a hierarchical system with classes designed to suit student ability level. These courses are college prep (CP), competitive college prep (CCP), and honors-level (H) classes.
Faculty members are responsible for suggesting the most appropriate level of courses to individual students; however, students are allowed to enroll in courses of any difficulty level with the written permission of their parents and an individual meeting with the student's guidance counselor.
AP courses offered at Southington High School include:
- Calculus AB
- Computer Science A
- English Language and Composition
- English Literature and Composition
- Environmental Science
- Human Geography
- Music Theory
- Physics C
- Studio Art (2D Design and Drawing)
- US History
- US Politics and Government
- (UCONN) French
- (UCONN) Italian
- (UCONN) Spanish
Southington competes in the West division of the Central Connecticut Conference, which consists of New Britain High School, Simsbury High School, Hall High School, Newington High School, Conard High School, Farmington High School, and Northwest Catholic High School.
The Emblem is Southington High School's student newspaper. First published in 1898, it has been continuously published since 1911.
In September of the 2000-2001 school year, the motor that runs the school's clocks exploded in the basement of Southington High School. Students were kept out of the building for days as everything was tested for cancerous PCBs.
- James R. Benn, author, best known for Billy Boyle book series
- Rob Dibble, professional baseball player
- Carl Pavano, professional baseball player
- Chris Petersen, professional baseball player
- Mike Raczka, professional baseball player
- Kevin Radziwon, professional soccer player
- Tom Cichowski, professional football player with the Green Bay Packers 1967 and Denver Broncos 1967-1968
- "James R. Benn". Hartford Courant. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- "Rob Dibble Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "Carl Pavano Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Russo, Ben (June 4, 1995). "Petersen Is A Hit, Even If He Can't". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- "Mike Raczka Stats". The Baseball Cube. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- "2000 All-Courant High School Soccer Team". Hartford Courant. December 19, 2000. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- "Hall of Fame announces inaugural class". Southington Citizen. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Southington High School.|
- Southington Public Schools
- SHS Marching Band
- Blue Knights Football
- The Greater Southington Chamber of Commerce: Education