Southpointe is a 589-acre (238 ha) suburban business park located in Cecil Township near Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, south of Pittsburgh and is a familiar landmark along Interstate 79. It is home to many corporations, including Fortune 500 members CONSOL Energy and Mylan as well as ANSYS, Inc..
Since the development of the Marcellus Shale in the Appalachian region, Southpointe has also become home to many natural gas producers, including Range Resources, Noble Energy, EQT and other service companies related to the industry.
Southpointe is also home to the IceoPlex at Southpointe, which was the main practice and training facility for the Pittsburgh Penguins from May 20, 1995 until 2015. Since 2010 its golf course has hosted the PGA Tour event Mylan Classic.
Planning for what would become Southpointe began in the 1980s, as the Washington County Redevelopment Authority in partnership with the RIDC began to pursue a tract of land in Cecil Township that had been the site of the Western Center, a reform school and a state mental hospital. The property for the first phase, Southpointe I, was acquired in 1986, with construction beginning in 1993. The location was chosen because of its access to Interstate 79, its proximity to Pittsburgh and low tax rates. By 2013, Southpointe I had become filled and the second phase, Southpointe II neared completion, with 800 acres (320 ha) across both. A third phase is planned for the other side of Interstate 79, to be called Cool Valley Industrial Park.
The Southpointe Marcellus Shale Chamber of Commerce was founded in 1993 for promotion of the Southpointe Industrial park and the tristate area. It publishes a directory and quarterly report.
- Mullig, Mario (May 3, 1991), "Development group details Southpointe plan", Washington Observer-Reporter, Washington, PA
- Barcousky, Len (July 25, 2013). "Industrial parks, communities create productive partnerships". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- Gannon, Joyce (May 3, 1991), "Home for High Tech", Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh, PA
- Timlin, Kim (May 5, 1991), "High-tech site, golf course set pace for Southpointe", Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, PA
- "Millcraft Industries, Inc. :: OUR PROJECTS". Millcraft Industries, Inc.
- Southpointe Marcellus Shale Directory and Quarterly Report
- Southpointe Marcellus Shale Chamber of Commerce
- Post-Gazette article on Southpointe
- Southpointe I page at Washington County
- Southpointe II page at Washington County
|This Washington County, Pennsylvania state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|