Southport station (CTA)
|Chicago 'L' rapid transit station|
The platforms at Southport
|Location||3411 North Southport Avenue|
Chicago, Illinois 60657
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Platforms||2 Side platforms|
|Opened||May 18, 1907|
|Passengers (2017)||1,137,842 1%|
|Rank||62 out of 143|
Southport is a station on the Chicago Transit Authority's 'L' system. It is situated between the Paulina and Belmont stations on the Brown Line, which runs between Albany Park on Chicago's Northwest Side and downtown Chicago. It is an elevated station with two side platforms located at 3411 North Southport Avenue in Chicago's Lakeview community area.
Southport is situated on N. Southport Avenue, close to its intersection with W. Roscoe Street. The station is located in the Lakeview community area of Chicago; the area surrounding the station consists of a mixture commercial and residential areas.
Southport Station opened in 1907 as part of the Northwestern Elevated Railroad's Ravenswood line. In CTA's skip-stop service on the Brown Line, which was in operation from 1949 to 1995, Southport was a "B" station.
In 2006, the CTA began the Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project, which involved the renovation and reconstruction of all Brown Line stations to allow eight car trains to run on the line and to ensure that all stations met Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. Southport Station was closed between April 2, 2007, and March 30, 2008, and was completely rebuilt.
Southport is part of the CTA's Brown Line, which runs between Albany Park and downtown Chicago. It is the eleventh inbound station and is the last station on the Ravenswood branch. Brown Line trains serve Southport between 4:00 a.m. and 2:25 a.m. on Weekdays and Saturdays, and between 5:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. on Sundays; trains operate every 3 to 10 minutes during rush hour, with longer headways of up to 15 minutes at night. 1,042,720 passengers boarded at Southport in 2015.
Notes and references
- "New 'L' Line Operated". Chicago Daily Tribune. May 19, 1907. p. 11.
- "Annual Ridership Report – Calendar Year 2017" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority, Ridership Analysis and Reporting. January 31, 2018. Retrieved July 29, 2018.
- City of Chicago Zoning Map (Map). Chicago Department of Zoning. 2012.
- Garfield, Graham. "Southport". Chicago "L".org. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Southport". Countdown to a New Brown. Chicago Transit Authority. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Southport Station Timetable" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Monthly Ridership Report – December 2015" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority Ridership Analysis and Reporting. January 11, 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 4, 2018. Retrieved March 23, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Southport (CTA).|
- Southport station page at the CTA website