Southport, New York
Southport, New York
Southport Town Hall
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Town Supervisor||David J. Sheen (R)|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||46.84 sq mi (121.31 km2)|
|• Land||46.41 sq mi (120.21 km2)|
|• Water||0.43 sq mi (1.10 km2)|
|Elevation||1,073 ft (327 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||224.40/sq mi (86.64/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0979509|
Southport is a town in Chemung County, New York, United States. The population was 10,940 at the 2010 census. The town is located in the southwest corner of Chemung County and is southwest of the city of Elmira. It is part of the Elmira Metropolitan Statistical Area.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Southport has a total area of 46.8 square miles (121.3 km2), of which 46.4 square miles (120.2 km2) is land and 0.42 square miles (1.1 km2), or 0.91%, is water.
The south town line is the border of Pennsylvania, and the west town line is the border of Steuben County, New York. The Chemung River, a tributary of the Susquehanna River, forms part of the northern border.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 11,185 people, 4,189 households, and 2,890 families residing in the town. The population density was 240.4 people per square mile (92.8/km²). There were 4,353 housing units at an average density of 93.6 per square mile (36.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 90.55% White, 6.78% Black or African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.23% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.47% from other races, and 0.75% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.91% of the population.
There were 4,189 households out of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.7% were married couples living together, 10.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.0% were non-families. 26.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the town, the population was spread out with 21.2% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 29.3% from 25 to 44, 24.6% from 45 to 64, and 16.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 109.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 111.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $38,580, and the median income for a family was $44,232. Males had a median income of $32,144 versus $24,410 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,454. About 8.7% of families and 11.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.5% of those under age 18 and 4.2% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Southport
- Bulkhead – A former community in the town.
- Mudlick Creek – A stream flowing out the west side of the town.
- Mount Zoar – A prominent hill in the north part of the town.
- Pine City – A hamlet between Southport village and Webb Mills on NY-328. The name is from the large number of pine trees.
- Rosstown – A location south of Southport on County Road 26.
- Sagetown – A location near the western town line on County Road 36 and Mudlick Creek.
- Seeley Creek – (1) A stream that flows northward through the town to the Chemung River, (2) A hamlet south of Webb Mills on NY-328. The name is that of an early settler family.
- Southport – The hamlet of Southport is in the northeast part of the town, located on NY-14, and is also a suburb of Elmira.
- Webb Mills – A hamlet in the south central part of the town and north of Seeley Creek on NY-328.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 4, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Elmira town, Chemung County, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 3, 2014.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Town of Southport official website
- Tri-Counties Genealogy & History: Town of Southport, Chemung County NY