South West, Western Australia
Names such as the South West or "South West corner", in Western Australian contexts, refer to a region that has been defined in several different ways.
While styles like South-West and Southwest have sometimes been used, most media outlets and official sources in Western Australia now use Australian English spelling conventions, under which the names of intercardinal points are two separate and unhyphenated words, i.e. "South West".
Such names now usually refer to areas immediately south of the Perth metropolitan area and west of the Wheatbelt. Its narrowest and most specific usage is in reference to the official, government-designated South West region. However, broader usages may include the entire south-western quarter of Australia.
In regard to Western Australia, "South West" may refer to:
- Electoral region of South West – a multi-member electorate of the Western Australian Legislative Council;
- South West drainage division – a drainage region;
- South West Land Division – a cadastral (land administration) region;
- South West Seismic Zone – an seismic region, or;
- Southwest Australia (ecoregion) – a biodiversity hotspot and botanical region;
|This article includes a list of related items that share the same name (or similar names).
If an internal link incorrectly led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.