Southwest Early College Campus
||This school-related article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2010)|
|Southwest Early College Campus|
|6512 Wornall Road
Kansas City, Missouri
|Established||1927, August 2008|
|Color(s)||Orange and black|
Southwest Early College Campus, Southwest, SWECC is a university preparatory middle school and high school campus located at 6512 Wornall Road in Kansas City, Missouri, 64113, United States. It is part of the Kansas City, Missouri School District.
Students may earn from 20 to 60 college credits, having the opportunity to take college-level courses, and prepare for the rigors of college through a mix of training and relationships with professors and master teachers from the University of Missouri-Kansas City. By the time a student graduates from SWECC, they will have earned those hours of college credit from the university.
The school opened in August 2008 for students in the 6th and 9th grade. The school later added grades 6, 7, 9, and 10.
This Early College Campus started with 240 students, and adds approximately another 240 every year.
In late 2011, the school's partner institutions announced they would discontinue working with the school as they saw it as being unable to meet its obligations.
- Kansas City, Missouri School District
- Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation
- PREP-KC (Partnership for Regional Education Preparation - Kansas City)
- Kansas City Area Life Sciences Institute
- Donnelly College
Alumni of Southwest High School
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (March 2017)|
- Robert Altman - film director
- Henry Bloch - co-founder of H&R Block
- Richard Bloch - co-founder of H&R Block
- Evan S. Connell - novelist, poet, and short story writer
- Chris Cooper - actor
- Michael Jones - pro football player
- R. Crosby Kemper - former president of UMB Financial Corporation
- Berton Roueché - medical writer; wrote for The New Yorker magazine for almost fifty years
- Richard Smalley - 1961 Nobel Prize winner
- Calvin Trillin - journalist, humorist, and novelist
- Avis Tucker - publisher of the The Daily Star-Journal
- Ruth Warrick - actor; original All My Children cast member
- Sir Robert Worcester - top British political commentator and market research pioneer
- "NEW school boundaries for 2010-2011 School Year." Kansas City, Missouri School District. Retrieved on January 20, 2011. "Southwest Early College Campus – (Assumes Westport High boundaries)"
- "Kansas City Missouri School District 2010/2011 Southwest High School Boundary. Kansas City, Missouri School District. Retrieved on January 20, 2011.
- Joe Robertson (28 October 2011). "Partners pull out of Southwest's early college program". Kansas City Star.
- "Richard Bloch's Biography".