Southwestern Central High School
|Southwestern Central High School|
600 Hunt Road W.E.
|School district||Southwestern Central School district|
|NCES School ID||362766003756|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Number of students||460|
|Athletics||Baseball, Softball, Soccer (MF), Swimming (MF),Tennis (MF), Track and Field (MF), Cross Country (MF), Basketball (MF), Football, Volleyball, Wrestling, Hockey, Football, Cheerleading, Basketball, Cheerleading, Bowling|
Located at 600 Hunt Road in West Ellicott, New York, Southwestern High School is a public high school that is part of the Southwestern Central School District which educates students in grades 9 through 12 from the surrounding areas of Busti, Celoron, Lakewood, and West Ellicott.
The Trojans compete in the fall in football, cross country, boys soccer, girls soccer, girls volleyball, girls tennis, and girls swimming and diving. Winter sports include basketball, wrestling, bowling, and boys swimming. Spring sports include track and field, boys tennis, baseball, softball, and golf.
The Southwestern girls swim team won the CCAA league with a season of no losses. The girls also claimed the Section 6 Class C title for both 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 seasons.
The football team won the New York State Public High School Athletic Association Class C championship in 2008. The Trojans completed the season with a 13–0 record. Coach Jay Sirianni was named New York State Class C Coach of the Year. Quarterback Zack Sopak and lineman Jasen Carlson were named to the first team All-State football team.
In 2009 the Trojans (13–0) claimed their second straight New York State Public High School Athletic Association Class C football championship by downing Bronxville of Section 1, 40–14, at the Carrier Dome. Lineman Jasen Carlson was awarded the Trench trophy as the Best High School Lineman in Western New York and Quarterback Zack Sopak was awarded the Connolly Cup as most outstanding football player in Western New York. First Team All-State honors awarded to Carlson, Sopak, Levi Bursch, and Ryan Buzzetto.
As of 2015, the Trojans football team is coached by Jehuu Caulcrick.
In the 2011–12 season the boys and girls varsity bowling teams won division one champions being led by team seniors Jenny Goodwill, Jessica Watson, Stephen Pool, Tom Dietrick, Sam Nelson, Kim Bajdo, Nicole Vincent, Lauren Schweichler, and Hannah Johnston.
Tennis In the 2014 season, the doubles team of Elizabeth Rowan and Victoria Van Every won the Section VI title at sectionals, the first girls to do so from Chautauqua County.
- Laura Kightlinger
- Amy King, flight attendant killed in September 11 attacks
- J.C. Matteson, Army sergeant killed during the Second Battle of Fallujah
- Jackson Rohm
- Nick Sirianni
- Aaron Swanson, U.S. Marine killed in active duty in Afghanistan.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Southwestern Senior High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved July 29, 2012.
- Kindberg, Scott (2008-11-30). "Best In The State: Southwestern Cruises To Class C Crown". The Post-Journal. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Kindberg, Scott (2009-11-29). "Trojans Repeat As C Champs". The Post-Journal. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Trench Trophy Website
- Connolly Cup Website
- Rodriguez, Jason (2011-09-11). "America 10 Years Later: Memorials Honor Those Who Have Fallen". The Post-Journal. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "Sgt. James Matteson". The Post-Journal. 2004-11-18. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Emke, Dave (2011-02-11). "Swanson Mourned: Southwestern Remembers 2007 Grad Killed In War". The Post-Journal. Retrieved 2014-02-16.